Shimming a Floyd Rose for a compound radius

Shimming a Floyd Rose for a compound radius
« on: July 25, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »
I need to adjust an OFR for a 12-16 compound radius neck.  Has anyone done this?  I have heard that I need to put shims under the E,A, B, and E saddles.  Anyone have experience with this?  Thanks

Offline DMRACO

• View Profile
Re: Shimming a Floyd Rose for a compound radius
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:07:46 AM »
I would be interested in hearing this.  I just installed a OFR and the action seems to be OK.  The low E could use a bit....

Offline StübHead

• My Guitarrses s'STILL Beaterer than Ursers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 06:56:14 AM »
You can search this forum, and a google of "Floyd Rose bridge shims" turned up a few things. It's "normal" to put three 2mm shims under the outer strings, and one 2mm shim under the A and B strings to flatten it out to the 19" or so that is needed at the bridge. It's easy to find 2mm brass sheet, too... + kitchen scissors, there you go. :hello2:

(how-to): http://www.rackcreations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130

http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=116
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitar_frsaddles.htm

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 11:05:28 AM »
Thanks,  I guess 3 shims on the e's  and 1 on the a & b will make an 18 radius, whereas 2 on the e's and 1 on the a & b will make a 16 radius.  I guess I'll have to try both and see which is better.

Offline DMRACO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 01:08:24 PM »
I adjusted my bridge and all seems ok.  Maybe I am confused....with a radius neck, are not the high spots on the 3rd and 4th strings?  Shouldn't those be shimmed instead so you can get lower action on the "ouside" strings??

Offline DangerousR6

• Administrator
  • F.R.E.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »
Of all my guitars I've built with Floyd's and Warmoth 10-16" radius necks, I've never had to shim any of them at the saddles. The only one I had to shim any at all was a tele i did that wasn't cut with an angle in the neck pocket. And I had to shim the nut  on that one...The rest are just as they arrived, and I have no issues at all....

Offline shanejw

• Just put the $ on the dresser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 08:42:31 PM »
There was a thread floating around here that had a chart on how many shims to put under the saddles for different fretboard radius.  It was really helpful for me a while back when i was building my soloist.  first guitar I had ever set up and the action was perfect, right off the bat.
Builds done: Carved Top Soloist, Strat, LP, G5
Builds in progress: Jazzmaster/Talman hybrid project

Offline shanejw

• Just put the $ on the dresser.
    • View Profile
Builds done: Carved Top Soloist, Strat, LP, G5
Builds in progress: Jazzmaster/Talman hybrid project