Dimarzio Transition Bridge Pickup - Ohmagerd

fdesalvo

I don't know what's been in the water at Dimarzio over the last few years.  Let me say that I've been actively avoiding the brand until the last year or so after some unfavorable results, namely with their flagship/virtuoso/endorser line.  Then I took a chance and they blew my hair back with the Gravty Storm, which has sounded AMAZING in every guitar I installed it in.  Then I took the plunge on the Transition Bridge pickup...

This is a higher output pickup, do doubt - BUT! 

It is rich and extremely organic, with a very powerful tone that is exceptionally clear and dynamic.  It sounds outstanding split and in parallel, in addition to sounding really good clean in series.  Where the Gravity Storm smoothly moonwalks over solos on the higher frets, the Transition screams with the most pleasing of trebles.  The high end and extra push against the preamp create a stunningly beautiful solo voice, perfectly complimenting the Gravity Storm.  It is bright, but not piercing.  Playing crushing rhythm chops is effortless and comes across with a solid low end and present midrange.  Backing off the volume yields excellent tones, as well, and switching to parallel mode adds twang and midrange snarl, while reducing bass response.  PERFECTION. 

This pickup has led me to moments of hesitation when approaching my guitar stand.  Do I grab the strat with the Gravity Storm?  Do I grab the Soloist with the Transition??  Neither make me sound like Vai or Lukather.  What about the Ibanez with the BK Rebel Yells??  What a great position to be in!  All I have to do is sort out the neck on this Soloist and I'm done.

Cheers! 

An embarrassment of riches! Good for you! And thanks for sharing, notes are being made.

I've been shopping for some higher output pickups recently. My Warmoth Soloist has DiMarzio Air Classics in it but I'd like to write more progmetal-ish stuff with it. And although they are very nice sounding and clear, they don't have quite the punch I need. I emailed DiMarzio and they actually suggested I try the Gravity Storm neck in the bridge which I thought was interesting. I have a few combinations in mind, like Trembucker/JB, but I'm not set yet.

exaN said:
I've been shopping for some higher output pickups recently. My Warmoth Soloist has DiMarzio Air Classics in it but I'd like to write more progmetal-ish stuff with it. And although they are very nice sounding and clear, they don't have quite the punch I need. I emailed DiMarzio and they actually suggested I try the Gravity Storm neck in the bridge which I thought was interesting. I have a few combinations in mind, like Trembucker/JB, but I'm not set yet.

The GS bridge is great for what you want. If you need more edge, then the Transition if you want to stay in the Dimarzio camp.

Cagey said:
An embarrassment of riches! Good for you! And thanks for sharing, notes are being made.

Indeed!

DiMarzio Transitions are great pickups - as a Luke fan, I installed a pair in ‘Bub’, my canary strat build, after hearing them on the vid Luke did to announce their launch.

Fat, ballsy and articulate. I love them.

Pics, as all my previous post image links have died:

https://imgur.com/gallery/0tu1K

I just realised that the DiMarzio humbucker I bought a year or so ago for a build - and that I’ve forgotten about - is a Transition.
So I guess I need to build another guitar now, don’t I ... :icon_jokercolor:

Frown said:
DiMarzio Transitions are great pickups - as a Luke fan, I installed a pair in ‘Bub’, my canary strat build, after hearing them on the vid Luke did to announce their launch.

Fat, ballsy and articulate. I love them.

Pics, as all my previous post image links have died:

https://imgur.com/gallery/0tu1K

I remember your builds as elegant and clean. That’s gorgeous!

Logrinn said:
I just realised that the DiMarzio humbucker I bought a year or so ago for a build - and that I’ve forgotten about - is a Transition.
So I guess I need to build another guitar now, don’t I ... :icon_jokercolor:

I’ve seen builds start from less!

fdesalvo said:
I remember your builds as elegant and clean. That’s gorgeous!

Thanks! I’ve not been in a position to build one for a while. Good job I have 4 Warmoths to keep me company!  :icon_biggrin:

fdesalvo said:
exaN said:

The GS bridge is great for what you want. If you need more edge, then the Transition if you want to stay in the Dimarzio camp.

I might just get a set of GSs. I've heard amazing demos of the neck one!

exaN said:
fdesalvo said:
exaN said:

I might just get a set of GSs. I've heard amazing demos of the neck one!

I loved the neck split tone so much, I wired it permanently split. It’s such a good tone.  Even in full humbucker mode. 

Everything you always wanted to know about the Transition , but were afraid to ask ( courtesy of the Dimarzio unofficial forum);

http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,4301.0.html

I picked up a set of Transitions to put in My Warmoth VIP. I really like many of Dimarzios offerings, and own several. Of course THE sound of late 70's / early to mid 80's rock is a Dimarzio SuperD in a Les Paul , or a Duncan JB in a Strat typically.

arealken said:
Of course THE sound of late 70's / early to mid 80's rock is a Dimarzio SuperD in a Les Paul , or a Duncan JB in a Strat typically.

When people realize this, the quest for those tones ends and they are forced to reckon with the need for actually practicing their chops.  I've been running for far too long!

Back