39 seconds of Satch (Whole song at the bottom of page 2)

DocNrock

Master Member
Working on Satch's "Up in the Sky."  All parts learned at 100% speed.  Just piecing them together, now.  Here's the first 39 seconds.  Those harmonics in the beginning were a B#$ch to get clean! 

On a different note, I've never done 16th notes at 147 bpm before.  That took some work, too.  As did figuring out his tone.  Ultimately, I came up with Compressor to (a lot of) Chorus, to amp, to effects loop with delay and reverb, back to amp.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvULzj-PZHQ[/youtube]

Phenomenal! Can't wait to hear the whole thing! Crystal Planet is among my favorite Satch albums, and Up In The Sky is a stand-out track for sure. Keep it up!

Doc ..! VERY cool!

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
:party07: :party07: :party07:
:guitarplayer2: :guitarplayer2: :guitarplayer2:
:headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1:

Brent, that was very good, and I must commend you on the efficiency of your left hand technique.
About 27 years ago, I got the Frank Gambale video "Speed Picking" and one of the things I learned from it was how inefficient my left hand was, and how prone to pain I was as a result.  I took about a year after slinging my guitar higher, like you did, and relearned how to play.

You are executing it quite flawlessly, and very relaxed.

Nice job!

NICEEEEE!!!!

I've never started a gear fund for a medical professional, but damnit, man! Let's get you working on a DAW!

Verne Bunsen said:
Phenomenal! Can't wait to hear the whole thing! Crystal Planet is among my favorite Satch albums, and Up In The Sky is a stand-out track for sure. Keep it up!

Thank you, Verne Bunsen.  It's going to take a while to stitch it all together.  Indeed, Crystal Planet is a great album and that song hits you like a brick when you first put it on.  :headbang1:

@Logrinn:  Thank you, kind sir!  :headbang1:

@Cagey:  Thanks!  The harmonics definitely take a lot to control.  A light, partial palm mute with the right hand is what worked, for me.  :eek:ccasion14:

@TFS:  Thanks!  From you, that is a high compliment.  When I first started out with each of the song loops (about 25 of them) at cut speed, I tried to maintain efficiency in both hands.  I knew I would need it going from low speed to full speed.  In the song, there are a couple of really cool mixed chordal/single-note-line parts where, to me, left hand efficiency was key.  The first one of these is from 1:12 to 1:38.  Maintaining relaxation as I sped up each loop was also very important, to me.  Tension = mistakes.  It also just doesn't flow as well when tense.  I realized when trying to speed up the individual loops that, if I started getting tense, it meant that I didn't have the muscle memory yet to speed them up.  So, I would slow back down until I could raise the speed without getting tense.    :glasses9:

@Frank:  Thank you, also.  I have a DAW.  I also have a Tascam 8-track.  I wasn't going to break either one out for a 40 second clip.  But, when I do the whole song, I will try to remember to use one or the other.  :icon_thumright:

TonyFlyingSquirrel:  Someone I know wanted to see how this part was played, so I thought I'd post it here, too.  This is the part I was talking about starting at 1:12 to 1:38.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I24chhypUho[/youtube]

Off topic, the guitar in the second clip I think is one of your best.

On topic, some good playing.

stratamania said:
Off topic, the guitar in the second clip I think is one of your best.

On topic, some good playing.

Thank you on both counts, John.

Love the Goncalo Alves neck on that one.  It is my only Goncalo Alves neck.  Highly recommended.  The body came from the Screamin' Deals section.  Bridge pup (played on here) is a DiMarzio Super 3.

Some really nice playing here, I've never ventured to learn any of Satch's stuff because I have nubs for fingers. :rock-on:

ThePhilosopher said:
Some really nice playing here, I've never ventured to learn any of Satch's stuff because I have nubs for fingers. :rock-on:

Thank you.  I just listened to the track on your new post.  Loved it.  :headbang1:

DocNrock said:
Love the Goncalo Alves neck on that one.  It is my only Goncalo Alves neck.  Highly recommended.

I still don't own one of those myself yet, but I've had a few of them come through here for setup and I agree - that's a fine wood to make a neck out of.

Cagey said:
DocNrock said:
Love the Goncalo Alves neck on that one.  It is my only Goncalo Alves neck.  Highly recommended.

I still don't own one of those myself yet, but I've had a few of them come through here for setup and I agree - that's a fine wood to make a neck out of.

Agreed.  I just need to burnish it.  :icon_thumright:

Here's a bit more of the song.  I'll make a new thread when it is really done.  But, I was really happy with this, so I'm sharing.  Well, there is a minor error at 0:28.  :laughing7:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPPHB7J_jFk[/youtube]

Nice work!

Crystal Planet is one of my favorite Satch albums, as well. Up In The Sky is a great track, but certainly not easy to play.

line6man said:
Nice work!

Crystal Planet is one of my favorite Satch albums, as well. Up In The Sky is a great track, but certainly not easy to play.

Thanks for giving it a look and listen, and for the kind words.  Agreed, great song...and it hasn't been easy.    :icon_thumright:

Good job!

Nice thing about Satriani - he's very melodic. Your inner ear can actually remember what he's done, which makes it a little easier to learn. Try doing that with something from Yngwie. Everything's a blur.

Cagey said:
Good job!

Nice thing about Satriani - he's very melodic. Your inner ear can actually remember what he's done, which makes it a little easier to learn. Try doing that with something from Yngwie. Everything's a blur.

Thanks, again.

Agreed about Satriani.  Never even tried to learn any Yngvie.  Such a good reason to not!

Back