A Screamin' Deals Jazzcaster Esquire

Day-mun

Parts arrived Friday afternoon while I was at work, then Saturday I spent the day with family, but now it's guitar-time! Body and components went together in a jif with only one unresolved hang-up:  the installation of the string ferrules. I heated them with a soldering iron (a tip from you guys) and pressed them into the W-drilled holes. they slid in like a champ... -too far! they are completely submerged to the bottom of the hole; once I got passed the top finish, there was nothing to keep them from sliding all the way in. -I think I can get 'em out, but the flush-mount vintage style ferrules I ordered are not going to work with how deep W drills the 5/16" portion of the hole.  :-\

Neck has started getting coats of Minwax satin poly after getting the edges knocked down a bit on the headstock and the fretboard's treble-side. Should be ready for final assembly next weekend(?), with only one concern left (other than those string ferrules):  pressing in the tuner bushings. I ordered some Kluson-style tuners with Gibby-style keystone buttons, and the bushings seem wider than the ones I've worked with before. I'm a bit reluctant to just start pressing them in without some wood removal (-slightly enlarging the reams), but I lack a drill-press, so...

Oh well, these are the things that keep the build interesting, so I ain't complaining, just fishing for y'all's two-cents.

Attachments

• DSCN2262.JPG
    DSCN2262.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN2263.JPG
    DSCN2263.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN2264.JPG
    DSCN2264.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN2265.JPG
    DSCN2265.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 13
That black looks really deep judging by the reflections.

A reamer might be a better tool for the tuner holes or improvise with sandpaper around something round and solid.

Thanks, stratamania. You're right; best to stay away from powered tools so I can keep the progress (and mistakes) slow and gradual.  :icon_thumright:

That shot of the rear string ferrules had me wondering what the hell I was looking at for a minute there. The finish is so flat, it looks like a shot of the sky with some strange balloons floating up in a line  :icon_biggrin:

Day-mun said:
Should be ready for final assembly next weekend(?), with only one concern left (other than those string ferrules):  pressing in the tuner bushings. I ordered some Kluson-style tuners with Gibby-style keystone buttons, and the bushings seem wider than the ones I've worked with before. I'm a bit reluctant to just start pressing them in without some wood removal (-slightly enlarging the reams), but I lack a drill-press, so...

Some hardware you gotta watch close. It's funny how often they don't tell you some critical details. If you happen to find what appears to be a great deal on something, it may be that it's metric and they leave that detail out. The Kluson-style tuners Warmoth sells are made by Gotoh, and their ferrules require an 11/32" (.343") hole. Warmoth calls that their "vintage" ream. So, I'd put a caliper on the OD of the parts you've got and see where they're at. It may be that the holes in the headstock are the right diameter, but there's a bit of a lip from the finish making them seem smaller.

If it's just a finish lip, I wouldn't take a reamer after them. Liable to chip the paint. Sanding is more forgiving.

They seemed too tight without finish. -And that's what I mean; the other ones I put in were either from W or the Fender-brand "vintage" tuners... and those didn't just slide right in there, either, but these seem like they could split the wood if i started to crank down on 'em to cram 'em in the existing ream as-is. Dunno if it was an intentional bait-n-switch, but the site I got 'em from called 'em Gotoh's, but they arrived in that god-awful Allparts shrink-wrap pkg.; -maybe it's just one company making them all, and whatever package they come in is just a matter of which private-label inventory is in surplus at the moment.  :dontknow:

Had a lull in applying coats of poly to the neck, so I worked on fitting the bushings to the headstock. A bit of sanding the reams did the trick; I think they'll scootch in there with a moderate amount persuasion.  :icon_thumright:

New string ferrules equipped with little flanges are reportedly on their way (-aboard a slow-boat from China, it would seem)...

You mentioned earlier up the thread that you don't have a drill press, but do you not know anyone who does? Makes it a 5 minute job. May be too late this time, but you know you're gonna do this again. It's in your blood. Or, you're only 3 hours away from me. I not only have a drill press, I've got an Axe Fx and a fridge fulla beer and I know where there are dozens of titty bars. What could possibly be wrong with that? We'll have you in jail and divorced in no time!  :laughing7:

Silly me - I forgot to mention the free threaded neck inserts included with every lap dance! Also, Canada is within shouting distance. You go to the Windsor Ballet and those girls will strip right down to their pelt while serving some of the best beer on the planet.

Those there are some generous offerings, my friend! I appreciate the sentiment but, alas, I must decline; I've already been divorced a couple of times, -never went to jail -but should've more than a few times, and've worn through all the fun there is to be had on that scene (-I used to live in Vegas, after all), so in the event I ever end up in your neck of the woods, I'll hafta settle for a tour of your shop and a glass of ice-water! (Although, those free threaded inserts are tempting...)

The guy I bought the Cordoba Fusion from lives right around the corner; -went to Galloup Guitar School of Lutherie. Builds acoustics from scratch; I'd wager he's got a drill press. He said I could stop in whenever, but I only met him that one time for the CL ad... don't wanna come off as a mooch.

Back