Advice on a reference amplifier.

Volitions Advocate

I have two TOA Electronics speakers I picked up on Kijiji awhile back to use as a jamming PA.  They came with a horrible amp, but one that at least worked for jamming in my basement.  The buddies I was jamming with aren't around anymore and I've been left with our equipment.

I got the pair for 100$ and the guy threw in the amp for free, as well as a Yamaha FB-01 FM Synthesizer (think DX-7 Era) that he thought was a mixer (what?)  So I got my money's worth for sure.  But the amp isn't even stereo, was probably manufactured int he 80s and doesn't even have a proper jack for speaker cords in the back, It has 5 of those spring loaded things that are on most consumer level home theatre systems, 4 for different impedances and a ground.

anyway. My recording interface has 10 analog outputs and I can easily set up a few different main stereo systems for mixing with, and I 'd like to use these TOA speakers as a second reference for mixing.  They aren't reference monitors at all, from what I understand they were installation speakers at a retirement home that were basically never used.  They can really pump out the audio with a decent amp (a kenwood stereo is sufficient to drive them) but if I want to use them for a DAW I'd like a nice inexpensive but decently transparent amplifier to drive them.

Pics.

68638_10151693535863613_1091873575_n.jpg

1379957_10151693535868613_863729638_n.jpg

1209250_10151694739478613_1008614122_n.jpg

I was thinking maybe something like an Alesis RA-150, but I'm not an expert on the subject of studio amplifiers.  Maybe there's something cheaper or even a little bit more DIY that would be a fun project?

Another thing I'd like to do is replace the backplates on the speakers with a 1/4" jack.  Is this a good idea?

My purpose for this is just to have another flavor to hear my mixes through.  It's pretty easy to switch between main speaker systems with my interface, and while these aren't necessarily reference monitors, they'll give me a nice idea of how my mix will sound through similar setups.  Plus I can crank them louder than my KRK's for gaming.  I'd love to buy 10 Genelecs and big LFE for Auro 10.1 mixing, but we can't all be rich right?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Advoc said:
I have two TOA Electronics speakers I picked up on Kijiji awhile back to use as a jamming PA. 

but if I want to use them for a DAW
(just my 2 cents worth)
They may-be great speakers for listening finished Audio though.

But .... they will sound completely the opposite when used with a DAW and listening to guitars etc though.
For a DAW / home studio setup you need GOOD studio monitors.

(Been there done that)  :icon_thumright:

Just hook-em up outside somewhere, connected to your stereo and give the neigbour's a blast    :party07:
They are made in Japan, so I'd keep em.

If a Kenwood stereo drives them ok now, trading that out for a "transparent" amp isn't going to buy you much. The Kenwood is probably already fairly transparent, and those speakers are not.

But, if you want a lotta amp for the money, you might want to look at some of Carvin's offerings. For example, the DCM1000L has lotsa power, is lightweight, reliable, and linear...

dcm1000l.jpg

Once you've got one of those, then later on if you get into some better PA speakers you'll already have power.

I don't have a kenwood amp.  The guy who sold them had them hooked up to one.

I'm hoping the speakers will colour the sound.  Mixing on nothing but perfect reference monitors will get you a perfect mix only on perfect speakers.  Same kind of reason that we had these little crappy reference monitors in the $3million studio that I trained in, and that I bounce my mixes to 128kbps mp3 and play them through my phone speaker. If you can make it sound "good" in all areas, you should have a decent mix.

Plus, like i said.  They'll be hooked up to my PC anyway. and GAMING. heheh.

That Carvin is nice, but I'm defnitely looking for something budget, this'll be the only application for it probably, and vocals for jamming maybe.  The Carvin would be something I might look at later if I'm thinking of getting a real PA for smaller gigs where I would have to bring my own.  And at that point I'd be looking for bigger and better loudspeakers (and subs, and a crossover etc.) as well.

It would appear that those TOA speakers have a power rating based upon Continuous Program Input.... kinda odd.

But the Alesis RA150 you linked is only 45 watts @ 8 ohms per channel, so you'd be fine to use that amp on the TOAs. The amp would clip before the speakers distorted.

Carvins seem to be mini PA amps, and maybe too powerful for those TOAs?

Behringer's lowest powered amp is the EUROPOWER EPQ304 which has 4 x 50 watt @ 8 ohms. That's a small PA amp. Their "Studio Monitor" amp is 300 watts - probably too powerful for your TOAs.

Back