Any fellow watch-lovers here?

I wasn't completely happy with that rally strap, so I actually put another one on the watch. This time I think I have the right combination (blue sharkskin):

orient%20anchor%20w%20shark%20strap%20on%20mrbl.jpg

shsark%20strap%20on%20orient%20anchor%20wtch.jpg

shark%20strap%20from%20buckle.jpg

Nice watch, but I just can't stand strap bands. I have to have Stainless bracelet watch bands. The only one I have that isn't all stainless is a S.U.G. I have that has a stainless and ceramic bracelet

To each his own I guess. I like watches to fit snug, and metal bracelets can pinch if worn too tight. One advantage to a stainless steel bracelet is that it goes with just about any outfit (a black strap is more proper for formal attire, however). I'm one of those fussy types who wants all the leather items I'm wearing to somewhat match or at least coordinate; so I have watches on different color straps to go with my brown/black/blue shoes and belts. (Yes, I have a pair of blue shoes, but they're not dress shoes and they're not suede LOL).

Another thing to consider is that someone with a number of watches to choose from may not wear any one exclusively, or even a majority of the time. Someone like myself, who owns one watch and wears it constantly, needs something that will tolerate a certain amount of abuse and is easy to clean frequently. Leather/fabric watchbands don't lend themselves well to that sort of treatment.

Yeah, leather watch straps are low tech but high maintenance - insofar as they need replacing once in a while. That's not a negative for me because I enjoy changing things up frequently and getting new looks for old watches. Unless you like the high end exotic skins, good leather ones - even things like ostrich, shark or lizard - are not terribly expensive. Metal bracelets wear out eventually too, btw. I've had to replace one or two of them.

Cagey said:
Another thing to consider is that someone with a number of watches to choose from may not wear any one exclusively, or even a majority of the time. Someone like myself, who owns one watch and wears it constantly, needs something that will tolerate a certain amount of abuse and is easy to clean frequently. Leather/fabric watchbands don't lend themselves well to that sort of treatment.
Agreed, although I have several watches, the steel makes for easier maintenance. Plus I'm a very mechanical person and the metal bracelets are heavy and have that mechanical feel to them. And the fact that I'm OCD sort of when it comes to tight fitting jewelry...Drives me up a friggin' wall..

While I'm not into watches I do dig my Mickey Mouse "Flags of the World" watch.  Unfortunately, the band broke and I have no idea what exact size I need to replace it with.  I don't think anyone sells watch bands in a brick & mortar store these days (if I'm wrong about that someone please tell me).  The watch plays "It's A Small World".  While I don't care for that song, it always reminds me of my family's trip to Disneyland in 1985.  I was so psyched to ride Space Mountain but when we got there it was closed all day for maintenance.  OUTRAGE!!! I remember going on Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion tons of times before finally going on It's A Small World with my dad.  To this day he still complains that it was the stupidest amusement park ride in the history of the world.  I was not impressed either.  I guess we should've gone to Disneyworld, but my dad didn't like something about that Epcot Center.  He felt it was too weird.????? :dontknow:

Getting a replacement strap for your watch can be easily done. A lot of jewelers who carry watch lines also carry straps. And any jeweler will be able to measure the size of the strap. Sometimes the size is imprinted into the leather on the inside of the strap (if it's a leather strap). I would guess yours is somewhere round 15-18mm at the lugs. If you can ascertain the width you need, the best way to buy a strap is online. I get mine from strappedfortime.com, and for $5.00 they can send you one of these:
caliper%20in%20hand%20b%20rm.jpg

Back