Are There Any Risks To Buying An Unfinished Neck ?

@aarontunes can you give an official confirmation before the internet implodes, please?

worldburn-top.jpg

Out of interest to others who may be interested in the same information - a fundamental utility of a forum - I'll refrain from calling in but will await a reply from Aaron here so that more people than those currently involved will benefit.

...I'm not overly spooked by the prospect of roasted maple losing warranty with oil, just looking for official confirmation.

I'm now curious to hear the official answer, too..

I do applaud the noble intention to get info that benefits everyone, but I must point out that "Unofficial" Warmoth is not a source for official Warmoth info. We talk about all kinds of things here that fall outside Warmoth's guidelines, like wet-sanding, oil finishes, burnishing, DIY finishes, etc. This includes me. A lot of my posts here are nothing more than my opinion, and should not be considered official Warmoth policy. Also, Warmoth does not regularly monitor this site for product or customer service inquiries, etc. All these reasons are why this place is called "unofficial".

I'm not saying that to call anyone out or ruffle feathers. I just want to be clear that for "official" Warmoth info, the only source is the Warmoth website or a call to Warmoth customer service.

With that said, putting oil on a Roasted Maple neck should not invalidate your warranty.

I do applaud the noble intention to get info that benefits everyone, but I must point out that "Unofficial" Warmoth is not a source for official Warmoth info. We talk about all kinds of things here that fall outside Warmoth's guidelines, like wet-sanding, oil finishes, burnishing, DIY finishes, etc. This includes me. A lot of my posts here are nothing more than my opinion, and should not be considered official Warmoth doctrine. Also, Warmoth does not regularly monitor this site for product or customer service inquiries, etc. All these reasons are why this place is called "unofficial".

I'm not saying that to call anyone out or ruffle feathers. I just want to be clear that for "official" Warmoth info, the only source is the Warmoth website or a call to Warmoth customer service.

With that said, putting oil on a Roasted Maple neck should not invalidate your warranty.
Will this information be posted on the website, since I can't regard the above post as official consent?

I see language describing that warranty will not be honored if the materials are modified by the customer without consent of Warmoth: "This warranty shall not apply to any product which is found to have been modified, repaired or altered in any way without express written consent from Warmoth."

Will this information be posted on the website, since I can't regard the above post as official consent?

I see language describing that warranty will not be honored if the materials are modified by the customer without consent of Warmoth: "This warranty shall not apply to any product which is found to have been modified, repaired or altered in any way without express written consent from Warmoth."

Maybe calm down we are talking about guitar parts.

No, it probably won't be. There are literally thousands and thousands of ways customers use our parts that are completely unforeseeable. I'm honestly astounded by some of the cool, innovative, and creative ways our parts get used. We can't account for every scenario in print or on the website.

We understand that it's pretty much impossible to use our products as intended without making certain modifications to them, e.g. drilling holes, applying screw wax, sanding, leveling and crowing frets, applying finishes, etc. Heck, Warmoth even honors the warranty our necks when a hard finish is applied by the customer. We have never used any reasonable thing to deny a warranty claim. When customers call in with issues we are fair and do our best to help them, even if what they did took their part out of warranty.

I've already said (unofficially) that oiling it won't void the warranty. If you want ironclad assurance, please give us a call or don't oil it. That's about the best advice I can give you.

Ok, in the rare instance I or someone else is concerned about warranty on an oiled neck that doesn't require finish, I understand the best thing to do is call in for verification. And also that the advice or policies stated here cannot be 100% guaranteed to coincide with Warmoth's. Thank you for the clarification, and for recognizing the noble intent to benefit all.

Ok, in the rare instance I or someone else is concerned about warranty on an oiled neck that doesn't require finish, I understand the best thing to do is call in for verification. And also that the advice or policies stated here cannot be 100% guaranteed to coincide with Warmoth's. Thank you for the clarification, and for recognizing the noble intent to benefit all.

Yep, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. To quote scripture and verse, this is from the forum rules, which can be found here:

"SERVICE
This board exists to provide a place where Warmoth enthusiasts can share useful information about things related to guitar building and guitar parts. This is not an official Warmoth customer support forum. The ideas and information presented here are neither approved nor endorsed by Warmoth, and Warmoth shall provide no remedy for damages that may result from information posted here. If you need product or order support, you must contact Warmoth directly."

Again, not my intention to ruffle feathers or be difficult, only to be clear.

Yep, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. To quote scripture and verse, this is from the forum rules, which can be found here:

"SERVICE
This board exists to provide a place where Warmoth enthusiasts can share useful information about things related to guitar building and guitar parts. This is not an official Warmoth customer support forum. The ideas and information presented here are neither approved nor endorsed by Warmoth, and Warmoth shall provide no remedy for damages that may result from information posted here. If you need product or order support, you must contact Warmoth directly."

Again, not my intention to ruffle feathers or be difficult, only to be clear.
Thanks, and I understand the policy is not there to allow Warmoth to screw customers by denying claims etc, but to provide caution on the official guidelines & regulations. I also find it useful to encounter bits of the official stuff like that throughout random threads - not just in the big info threads or stickies - because sometimes that info only becomes relevant in specific situations, ideally related to the thread(s) where they appear. Sorry to those for whom this stuff is redundant.

One thing I'll say, is the people at the Warmoth call / sales center are very nice, competent and professional. If you have a question like this, don't be bashful or afraid to call. It really is the best way to get the official info. While I've never asked, I suspect they are musicians just like us.

I agree with the positive comments. I've ordered many Warmoth bodies and necks, from the showcase and custom, plus a lot of hardware. I've had very few occasions to call Warmoth for anything, customer service or otherwise, but in those instances they've been terrific. This is not a company looking to shaft its customers to make a quick buck. I have 100% trust that they're being reasonable and that they'll treat us fairly.

One thing I'll say, is the people at the Warmoth call / sales center are very nice, competent and professional. If you have a question like this, don't be bashful or afraid to call. It really is the best way to get the official info. While I've never asked, I suspect they are musicians just like us.

Chances are high. ;)

I think I've called Warmoth only once or maybe twice. I usually e-mail them and they always reply and have always been helpful. The last time was when I wanted to know if I could get a Vintage Modern neck with a square fretboard end (it's not on the option menu), and sure enough, I could! Spike told me what I needed to say in the order form "Special Instructions" box, and my desire was made a reality (and no up-charge!).

Back