Best finish for mahogany

Bruno

In your opinion, what's the best finish for mahogany?
I love fender 2 color burst (black-yellow burst by warmoth, I think..) but I don't know it's ok for mahogany...
Some one have images, photos, links (mahogany +2color burst)?

Thank you

A coat of China Red dye will give that Gibson wine color you see on the studio faded models  Be warned, tho, that mahogany doesn't accept the dye was readily as maple would..

Bruno said:
In your opinion, what's the best finish for mahogany?
I love fender 2 color burst (black-yellow burst by warmoth, I think..) but I don't know it's ok for mahogany...
Some one have images, photos, links (mahogany +2color burst)?

If I've ever seen a burst over mahogany, I don't remember it, unless it was an opaque finish where the wood isn't allowed to show through at all. The wood has an attractive but dominating color to it naturally that changes over time, so usually clear finishes are used take advantage of that. It's usually pretty easy to stain, but being an open-grained wood it needs to be filled to get a good surface. Some people like to use potassium dichromate to force the tannins to shift to a nice reddish-brown hue. You wipe on a solution of that, and you can practically watch it age before your eyes. Vinegar stops it. Then, you can fill and finish it. Google "potassium dichromate and mahogany" to get details.

Ciao -

Burst over mahog?

Any burst Firechicken (Firebird) will do... well, the wings at least:

Link to Black+Yellow burst Firebird - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Firebird/Gibson-USA/Firebird-V.aspx

e2e10372-9720-49de-ab7e-19e3a1f87d89.jpg

f3454c2a-f5b7-4ba0-bda4-02646fee101f.jpg

Here are some bursty Carvins with mahogany, to give some well-photographed examples of what can be done with that wood:
ct3m-blackburst-85827.jpg

ct3m-classicsunburst-86838.jpg

ct3m-sunsetburst-64548.jpg

ct3m-sunsetburst-85930.jpg

cs3t-thy-99279.jpg

These images suggest that (if you aren't going to bleach the mahogany so it'll take a yellow well) that perhaps a dark red or black burst edge is the way to go, if you want to go burst-ward.

peace

Bagman

Back