Gecko 6 ordered

intrusted

Greetings,
The Gecko has been ordered. Camphor Burl on Mahogany body. Neck was featured in the Show case gallery. Bubinga shaft wood with Macassar Ebony fretless with fretlines. Now the wait game.

It may feel like a compromise at the moment (-I know you were contemplating some different, and disappointingly unavailable woods), but what you are gonna put together is gonna be terrific! -Any misgivings you may have had will all vaporize when those boxes with little turtles on 'em show up on your doorstep.  :laughing7:

The streaking and color variation on the ebony 'board is gorgeous! The 'hog body is gonna be deep and powerful! The burl top is going to be stunning! The line inlays W does are the absolute definition of precision! -Man, nevermind dipping your big toe in the fretless pool, you're doin' a cannon-ball off the high-dive into it with this build! :eek:ccasion14:

Bodda-Bubing-aaah!

So... -finish plans? -Pickups/wiring? -Watcha got planned?

Day-mun,
Greetings, It was a downer not being able to get the woods I was after. BUT, I am usually surprised at what I get. Thanks for the link into the Showcase gallery for the neck. I am really eager to see this neck in person. The streaking and color variations is what sold me on that neck.
I will be going with Duncan pickups. I have them on another Gecko I have and really like the tone. With that I will be adding a Piezo system to this build.
As far as finishes are concerned I usually wait until I actually see the woods. I am odd about this but I think each piece of wood has its own vibe about them. I prefer hand rubbed finishes. It gets more personal that way. I am open for ideas on this.
Thanks for your response

Back to the thread,
What I would like to do is hand rub tru-oil. But I really don't want to darken the Burl top too much. I have access to spray equipment but I prefer not to go that route. The neck shaft will get a coat of tung oil but that will be it. Like I said previous, I prefer hand rubbed finishes.

The Bubinga neck may be really nice with no "finish" at all. Check out cagey's thread about burnishing here:

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19901.0

-Might be a really cool alternative to the tung oil...

As far as the hand-rubbed stuff, I'll leave those comments to the experts!  I pretty much spray everything! :laughing7:

Now that is interesting. I will give that a try on the neck. I actually really like that idea. Thanks again for the link.

Yeah, it looks like it wood be a pretty cool process; I haven't tried it myself, but I usually go for the maple necks, so... Feel free to PM Cagey with any questions, -he is one of the resident experts when it comes to burnishing, and he's always glad to share his helpful insight. That is gonna be one sweet neck, for sure!

Also lookin' forward to seeing that 'hog body hand-rubbed into a real beauty! -Keep us posted!

Back