Hipshot Classic Open Installation

PepeUnidos

Howdy - I recently ordered a custom spec neck and found that the headstock is a little bit on the thick side while trying to install some Hipshot Classic Open staggered machines, non-locking. Using some fairly accurate digital calipers, here’s my measurements:

Headstock thickness: 14.95mm/.592”(!)
Headstock Ream: 10mm
Headstock Finish: Gloss vintage tint
Just for funsies, it’s a 21 fret, 42mm nut width, 9.5” radius, one piece maple. Very nice neck.

Hipshot keep nut thickness: 2mm/.0780”
Washer: 1.33mm/.0520”
Longest tuning post: 21mm
UMP thickness: .58mm/0230”

The problem is that on the high E side, the nut and washer are encroaching about halfway on the string hole, even with no UMP installed, and I won’t be able to get enough wraps on there (I like 3) to ensure tuning stability. The low E barely has enough space on there. The ream depth does not factor in, the keys seat and thread properly. It’s not the Hipshot machine’s fault, either. Very good product and nicely cast. I was hoping they would be plug-and-play, but also understand that I’m building a guitar, not doing precision machining for an airplane. Some variance within reason since these kinds of things are not standardized, is to be expected,especially for wood.

I plan to solve this problem by exchanging the tuning keys for non-staggered for the extra post length and ordering a SS spacer .5mm thick from McMaster-Carr, and installing the machines without the mounting plate. I don’t mind string trees, all my other Telecasters have them.

I guess my question is if anyone else has encountered this problem? Would you builders out there happen to have a different suggestion? I’ll include some photos when I get a chance. Thanks!

The problem you described would be exaggerated with right hand reverse( big strings in half submerged eyelet) I haven't wrapped any turns with locking tuners, didn't think it was necessary

The problem you described would be exaggerated with right hand reverse( big strings in half submerged eyelet) I haven't wrapped any turns with locking tuners, didn't think it was necessary
Tuners are not locking, right hand six in line orientation. I’ll post some pictures they might explain it better.

I almost always go with locking tuners, and if they are not locking, use a string tree or tiltback headstock regardless of maker.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the hipshot classics. I just measured my headstock and it is 14.5mm. Its a roasted maple strat neck. I just have some wax/oil finish on it so there is probably very little build up. I have the open classic non-staggered, non-locking tuners with the ump installed with no issue. Hope this helps. Sounds like your plan to go with the non-staggered tuners (all 21mm posts lengths) and 0.5mm spacer should work (or at least work better).

I realize I’m being completely unhelpful, but the title of this thread almost sounds like a golf tournament! It made me chuckle. I’ll just head back out now…

Hi everyone! At first glance, here what I’ve got going on. I ordered and received 21mm NON-LOCKING non-staggered Classic Open tuners from Hipshot. For comparison, the tuners on the left are the 21mm post with mfg spacer and UMP. The tuning machine on the right, is the 21mm post with no UMP and a .50mm stainless spacer that I got from McMaster-Carr. This looks like I’ll have sufficient clearance to wind the strings on there, especially the low E. There’s no way I could get a low E on the tuners on the left (a .46). I think this will solve my problem, but I hope that this brings some attention, that maybe someone wants to check into it. Either the milling was a little off on surfacing the headstock, or the finish is fairly thick. In any case, here’s the link for .50mm and 1.0mm spacers in case someone needs them. More as I finish the install and get the guitar setup and playing. Thanks for reading.

.50mm spacer

1.0mm spacer

IMG_5119.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe you want to talk to the guys at hipshot. I've called them about things and they were helpful. They are in ny so it's est. I'm curious what they would say about it.

Last edited:
Maybe you want to talk to the guys at hipshot. I've called them about things and they were helpful. They are in ny so it's est. I'm curious what they would say about it.
For sure, I’ll check into it. I loved the b-bender I had from them a few years ago, and I have Hipshot tuners on my p-bass. Great stuff.

Back