How have you installed pickups on a body like this in the past?

BeachTurtle

I got a body from Warmoth that is similar to this build, my body is HSS just like this and is rear routed so I can't use a pickguard. How do you install humbucker and single coil pickups to a body like this without pickup rings?

Detailed instructions or a really good video on this would help out a lot. I did see the warmoth video on this from a few years back but I feel like it didn't give enough information (or even show the process) for me to feel confident enough to do it myself. I want to put this guitar together myself so I do not want to take it to a luthier (in case anyone says to take it to a luthier).

Attachments

• HSS sample .png
    HSS sample .png
    589.3 KB · Views: 3
There is a specific difference in the humbucker routes that Warmoth offers. The one in your picture is designed for a pickup ring because it has the two deeper recesses where the adjustment screws go. The only way to direct mount that humbucker without a ring is to make a small filler block or use something like the PMS system from FU-Tone.

The other route they offer is called "wood-mount" and doesnt have those recesses. If your body has that then you can directly mount them in to the wood.

As for the actual process, I use these screws from Allparts:

They are a #3 screw which will have a tight fit into the humbucker mounting holes but will not damage the threads preventing them from being used in a ring or pickguard later. I also use the same screws for the single coils.

For height adjustment, I use foam weatherstripping that comes on a roll. Its 3/4" wide and 1/2" thick and I simply place a small section under the pickup.

You can also use threaded inserts as discussed in this thread. I have provided some links to products I have used in there.

No worries. I was wondering if you had come up with a method to get around the fact that the humbucker is routed for ring mount, Big S gives you the solution.

Back