Jazzmaster Routing Disappointment

Max Headroom

I should have done my research before buying one of the Jazzmaster bodies that was on sale back near Christmas. Little did I know that the Warmoth Jazzmaster rout is not the same as a Fender Jazzmaster rout. I am specifically referring to the locations of the pickup routs. Oh well, I have ordered a template and router bit to fix the problem so that a 920D loaded pickguard will fit properly.

I also hope I do not have to enlarge the holes for the bridge thimbles by much. With the Warmoth finish they will not go in. I am hoping just a slight sanding or reaming of the 2 holes will suffice. I wish Warmoth would plug the holes while finishing. When I am finishing a body myself I just ball-up some masking tape and stuff the holes to prevent this.

Live and learn. Hopefully I help another Jazzmaster noob with this information.

I too am a newbie to jazzmaster, I was already aware of the pickguard size issue so I am planning to order from warmoth. Side note, that is a lot of control cavity, I am planning a middle pickup with separate volume pot.

I concur with B-Rob on this. I like the look of the Warmoth version, it's better thought out. Apropos of this, I took parts from a fender tele to put into a warmoth build and found that the pick guard did not align for my OCD. It was no trouble to take out the pups and put them into the warmoth guard. It looked better and didn't have to mess around with recutting etc.

Even fender changes their specs to not be fender specs. For any jazzmaster noob (or anyone buying off the shelf parts) in the future, do your research first.

I concur with B-Rob on this. I like the look of the Warmoth version, it's better thought out. Apropos of this, I took parts from a fender tele to put into a warmoth build and found that the pick guard did not align for my OCD. It was no trouble to take out the pups and put them into the warmoth guard. It looked better and didn't have to mess around with recutting etc.

Even fender changes their specs to not be fender specs. For any jazzmaster noob (or anyone buying off the shelf parts) in the future, do your research first.
I know. I was FOMO'ed by the great sale prices.

I know. I was FOMO'ed by the great sale prices.

Yeah, FOMO in any situation should automatically come with a YMMV disclaimer. I've been burned by that myself as well.

Decades ago, I made a few impulse purchases when Fernandes had released their limited edition Star Wars guitars. Missed out on the Darth Vader one but got the Boba Fett and Stormtrooper guitars. They arrived, and were beautiful (to look at; they were distinctly average to play). Then reality kicked in -- why the hell did I just spend upwards of $1,500+ on two impulse purchase guitars when we'd just bought a house?! My wife was going to kick my ass, and I would've deserved it. It was because of the magic words, "limited release."

I immediately resold them on eBay, taking a loss but that was the price I had to pay for being impulsive. I posted them below retail because I needed to move them before my wife kicked my ass 😉 They flipped so quickly that I used the original shipping materials to get them out.

Does anyone have a comparison of the Warmoth vs Fender Jazzmaster? I’m aware the the bridge holes are in the Pickguard on the fender and in the body on the Warmoth. Other differences?

Does anyone have a comparison of the Warmoth vs Fender Jazzmaster? I’m aware the the bridge holes are in the Pickguard on the fender and in the body on the Warmoth. Other differences?
The bridge pickup route on a Warmoth JM pickguard (and Warmoth JM bodies) is slightly further from the bridge than on a Fender.

As an unhelpful aside, I’ve been playing guitar for 22 years and have yet to touch a Jazzmaster, Jaguar, or Mustang.

I've been playing for over 30 years and, now that I think about it ... I haven't either!

Not saying that I haven't "built" a few virtual Jazzmasters/casters. I'll probably have one at some point ... probably with a recessed Schaller Floyd.

Something like this, maybe ...

Jazzcaster.jpg

The bridge pickup route on a Warmoth JM pickguard (and Warmoth JM bodies) is slightly further from the bridge than on a Fender.
I love Warmoth, but that cuts bridge pu attack, if that’s what you dig. I do.

Last edited:
As an unhelpful aside, I’ve been playing guitar for 22 years and have yet to touch a Jazzmaster, Jaguar, or Mustang.
I think I picked up one once in almost 40 years of playing. To move it out of the way…

Last edited:
I have played a few but never was interested. The Jazzmaster hype began after they ran out of vintage tele's.

Mmmm ... for me the jazzmaster is a great body shape, easy to play sitting down, never a neck dive, nice large body that's easy to hold. Not to dismiss the tele, for which I have much love.

Mmmm ... for me the jazzmaster is a great body shape, easy to play sitting down, never a neck dive, nice large body that's easy to hold. Not to dismiss the tele, for which I have much love.
I have no contempt for the Jazzmaster. I like the shape. It just became part of the "offset" hype machine. The stock trem though.........

I now have 2 offset bodies, a walnut jazzcaster (heavy) and a jazzmaster I still don't have a neck for... not the most ergonomic for my small frame, fits me like a baritone,

Back