Just how big is that rear cavity?

ravenhaller

I'm planning on a new superstrat (ditched my plans for a V... i'll play it safe with a strat).  One left-field addition will be the install of a sustainiac pickup, which requires 9V power.  The only controls will be a volume knob and a five-way pickup selector (bridge pu, neck pu, and the three sustainiac positions - this switching has been OK'd by the guys @ sustainiac). 

Even though the sustainiac requires a circuitboard (measuring 90 x 25 x 10mm, or 3.75 x 1.5 x 0.5"), the rear cavity cnc'ed into a standard Warmoth strat looks waaay huuuge - I figure this cavity should have plenty of space to install both the circuitboard and also to house a 9v battery (mounted via the rear cover plate).

Do you think i'd be OK, or is that cavity not as large as it seems?

Even if they'd both fit, there's a lot to be said for having room to play around with wiring. If it was me, I'd spring for the dedicated battery cavity route. It's on the back, so there's no real cosmetic damage. Plus, it's guaranteed to be a neat install.

You should have plenty of room.

If you were going to have an external battery box on the control cover, why not just order a battery box route? Do you intend to make the guitar passive at some point?

I could order the battery box routing, it's just that the cavity is so big I may as well utilise the allocation.  It seems like a waste only use it for a volume control and a pickup selector.

-and that circuit board.

Plus, whenever ya need to change the battery, the back plate hasta get unscrewed to get to it. -Battery box would just flip open for the swap and Ta-daa! you're back in business.

I'm with the other guys on the merits of the battery-box-route.  :icon_thumright:

It's not a waste. You're going to put a circuit board in there that measures 3.75 x 1.5 x 0.5". You gotta look at cubic area as much square area. Circuit boards and batteries (or battery boxes) both have depth to consider. If there's any overlap between the battery box and the circuit board, you'll likely be in trouble. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, tight wiring is no fun.

I did a VIP with a Sustainiac. There is plenty of room in the control route for the circuit board. Probably could fit the battery in there, too. But why?  To me, it is such a cleaner option to have a battery box. Also, it is a snap to change the battery. Much easier to pop open the battery box than it is to unscrew to cover to the control panel each time you change the battery. JMHO.

I think he's talking about mounting a battery box, but on the back control cavity cover. I've done that before on a VIP and it's a good way to go, but I didn't have a circuit board mounted inside. It may work out, but I wouldn't guarantee it. If it does, that's a good way to do it. The dedicated route I know will work.

I've recently installed a Fernandes Sustainer into my rear routed strat cavity.  It was a little tight to fit everything in (I have master tone, master volume and a three way Gibson style switch in the second tone route), but with a little adjustment using a dremel everything fitted...just!

Yeah, the plan would be to panel mount a 9V battery holder onto the rear cover plate... it would be a total PITA to remove it each time a battery went dead.

At the end of the day I can always route my own battery box if needed, but considering how little of the provided cavity i'd use if not for the Sustainiac install (1x volume pot and1x  p/u selector - right in one corner) - it just seems like a whole bunch of wasted space.

cutout_zps95b1e0ff.jpg

Hell, if you've got a router and you aren't afraid to use it, what's the problem? Buy the thing, see if your guts will fit, and if not, see to it.

LoveyNThurston.jpg

A Howell is never wrong! Break off a piece, and make it fit!

Here is another thought:  As I recall, the Sustainiacs are very sensitive to wire lengths and other things, such as you can't use a metal pickup ring and you can't use shielding paint.  I wonder if a battery inside the control panel might be a no-no, also?  You said you checked with the Sustainiac guys about the switching.  Did you ask them about a battery inside the control route?  Maybe it is OK, I don't know.  I just remember the Sustainiacs are supposed to be sensitive to some odd things.

Either way, I'll be interested to see/hear how it turns out. 

My VIP with a Sustainiac:  http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=8399.0  I personally think the battery box looks good.   

There's a LOT of space in that cavity if you only have a switch and a single pot:

20120617-IMG_8174.jpg

In that picture, the pot is in the Tone 1 position - there'd be even more space if it was in the Volume position.

Personally, if there's space, I would glue one of these to either the inside of the cavity cover, or inside the guitar itself:

9_volt_flat_holder.jpg

Seriously, having to undo four screws every year or two to change a battery is not an issue. And the back of the guitar will be clean.

I would either just leave the battery in the control cavity or get a separate battery box route.

As for the size, not perfect but a picture is worth a thousand words:

ControlCavity_zps16809957.jpg

If you print it out life size (that's what the ruler is for), you can check the layout that way.

The picture is taken while testing - so there is more wiring mess than needed  :icon_biggrin:

But even with a cleaned up wiring I wouldn't put a battery in there too. 

Back