Latest Project... Arrived!!!

ByteFrenzy

OK, the UPS truck dropped off two packages this afternoon. One with the body blank, the other with the pickups and assorted electronics parts. I just realized a couple of things. The first is that I now understand why in my case the UPS guys never pull stunts like leaving the package on the doorstep and signing off themselves. They have to collect the import cost in cash. I also ran into something very bizarre when I opened the packages with the SD pickups. Do those guys ever pack the same accessories with their pickups? The J-bass neck pickup came with a set of screws and rubber tube spacers. The MM pickup was accompnied by two pieces of adhesive becked rubber foam. I'm darn sure that wasn't included with the pickup when I built my Thinline. In both cases there were no screws for the MM though. Very strange.

Oh well, lets move on to what you're all really waiting for, the pics.

First up is the body blank in all its splendor, with the pickups, on my brand new workbench in my brand new shack.
DSC_5207s.jpg

Different angle, showing a bit more of the body blank and the brand new workbench, as well as a corner of the second brand new workbench.
DSC_5209s.jpg

Backside of the body blank. Oh what a surprise, there's a rear cavity cover. An place for a neckplate. Doug, remind me not to route that away by accident...  :headbang1:
DSC_5210s.jpg

The pieces of Bubinga that could become the top if I can't get hold of something better...
DSC_5211s.jpg

And finally, an overwiew shot of my shack. I dragged a lot of gear in there that I recovered when my dad moved into a retirement home and I have to clear out a lot of it when the weather is a bit better... As it is there is just anough room for me to move... carefully...
DSC_5213s.jpg

I think this may be the very definition of "man cave"! Will follow this with interest.
And cosmetically, you can never go wrong with bubinga :)

It always looks funny to me to see a cavity cover taped to a square block of wood. 

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

I see you're using the SD basslines pickups.  Do you need the active pre-amp for it?  I've got a two band/passive one that I'd be willing to let go for cheap.  It was installed for about 10 minutes in my fenderbird.  Removed because the battery would not fit.

mayfly said:
I see you're using the SD basslines pickups.  Do you need the active pre-amp for it?  I've got a two band/passive one that I'd be willing to let go for cheap.  It was installed for about 10 minutes in my fenderbird.  Removed because the battery would not fit.

I remember you doing that, because at the time I was building my Thundermoth which also has soapbars - and the active preamp. I had that one routed for a battery box so I managed to squeeze the preamp into the cavity. This one however is going to be purely passive, J-Bass stack in the neck and MM on the bridge, with 1 vol, 1 tone and a 5-way switch. But there will surely be a next build one day, so yes, I'd be interested.

Nice, a new project in the a new space! 

Superlizard said:
Normally I'd say it was backwards, but here I can't tell...
The control cavity plate placement gives it a high probability of being a righty.  :guitaristgif:

now for the record, are you dutch or flemish? if I remember correctly, you at least lived in holland, right?

I really want to make fun of you ;) but need to be sure if you are belgium or not  :icon_biggrin:

Marko said:
now for the record, are you dutch or flemish? if I remember correctly, you at least lived in holland, right?

I really want to make fun of you ;) but need to be sure if you are belgium or not  :icon_biggrin:

Both - I'm Dutch by nationality but have lived in Antwerpen for the last thirty years. My wife and son are Belgians though, so you can make fun of them. :laughing11:

DangerousR6 said:
Hell, just put the neck on it an go with it... :laughing11:

I would, but I still need to order the neck. It would sure one-up Bo Diddley, though...
The neck is going to be a custom order because I want to omit the fretboard markers (I'll probably do a design of my own) and I'm not even certain of the wood yet. Probably either plain maple with a Pau Ferro FB or Wenge with... I'm not sure, Pau Ferro, Macassar Ebony or plain Ebony. Or maybe all Wenge.

I also just bit the bullet and ordered a one-piece East Indian Rosewood top from Exotic Woods. I looked at the links you sent me but I didn't run into anything that fit my needs 100%. There were a couple of very nice Spalted Maple tops but I'm doing this one in Tru-oil so Spalt isn't the way to go for this one. The other tops were either too narrow or not the right thickness. With a bit of luck I'll also be able to set up a spray painting area and then I might do a spalt top.

ByteFrenzy said:
Marko said:

Both - I'm Dutch by nationality but have lived in Antwerpen for the last thirty years. My wife and son are Belgians though, so you can make fun of them. :laughing11:

I would never make fun of folks who make such good beer and chocolate!  :)

NonsenseTele said:
Can't believe you ask them for route MM + J :sad:

I felt like doing something controversial. You can't build Jazz basses all the time. Besides, I like the J-bass pickup in the neck position and I like the MM as I have it in my Thinline.

mayfly said:
ByteFrenzy said:
Marko said:

And some nice blond chicks :toothy12:

ByteFrenzy said:
NonsenseTele said:
Can't believe you ask them for route MM + J :sad:

I felt like doing something controversial. You can't build Jazz basses all the time. Besides, I like the J-bass pickup in the neck position and I like the MM as I have it in my Thinline.

OK but it looks fugly :tard:

mayfly said:
ByteFrenzy said:
Marko said:

The Dutch wouldn't know that, they're too stingy to spend money on those.

(Disclaimer: I'm referring to stereotypes that I don't even believe in myself. Everybody is aware of the proverbial generosity of the Dutch).

mayfly said:
ByteFrenzy said:
Marko said:

Have you ever heard them talk????

ByteFrenzy said:
Marko said:

ha ok, oh well, I will let it go this time ;
Seriously, I really like the Flemish! I have a couple of flemish friends, but I really enjoy making fun of the way they talk and the hilarious words they use.................................................................. Just like my american friends do with me  :sad1: :tard:
(luke! stop try to imitate my crazy accent!)

Back