Maple Neck, Maple Board- Satin Finish

RoccoRiggs

Question:

What are you guys cleaning satin finished maple necks with maple fretboards with?

Thanks!

I have yet to clean any of my finished necks! However, I do have several un-finished necks that I need to clean on a regular basis.  Those get cleaned with naphtha.

90 percent or higher isopropyl alcohol can clean some things off. Lemon juice used to be used but it's highly acidic and not the best idea. Usually just a damp cloth is the best, then buff with a dry one. As was mentioned, lightly scraping with a plastic card can help.

I never had a "finished" maple board- Can one use guitar cleaner/polish such as Virtuoso in this circumstance or is it ill advised? ? I feel the board getting gummed up a little - I am used to rosewood - where I'd do an oil with a cleaner-

it is a new brand new neck..the tech had to scrape the finish off the frets before assembly- could be some leftover chum layin' about maybe..

What you should use depends if it's nitro or poly (Warmoth has sometimes used nitro for satin finishes but not gloss, so check carefully), but otherwise it's the same as cleaning a guitar body finished with the same material. Some guitar finish polishes are all-purpose and will clean up both nitro and poly, but check what you have carefully as most cleaners and polishes are made for one or the other. 

Basic cleaning alcohols, or even lighter fluid, can clean poly finishes. Don't use either on nitro, as though some very thick nitro finishes can appear unscathed, the top coats will be damaged and thin finishes can end up getting stripped if you're not careful. Just not worth the risk when actual nitro cleaners and polishes exist. 

Cleaning oils do not belong anywhere near a finished maple fretboard. All they'll do is sit on the surface of the finish at best, or stain it at worst. Oils are for raw wood only, and even then are for conditioning, not cleaning. Over-oiling a rosewood or ebony neck (or any other raw wood) can lead to severe problems. Don't break out the oils more than once a year, no matter what raw neck you have; for finished maple, keep the oils locked away.

Thanks Ace, Neck has a "clear satin nitro" finish.. Assuming a guitar polish/cleaner will take the gunk off safely..Only maple boards I ever has before this were Music Man and an early San Dimas guitar- which felt naked- I never cleaned either of these as the dirt never became "gummy" they had that nice used look..like i put miles on them

naptha for cleaning.  mineral oil for conditioning.  conditioning not necessary on maple.

Back