Most accurate Fender logo decal?

exaN

I've been on a quest to find the most accurate Fender logo decal for a while but they're never quite right. Does any of you know of a good supplier?

Rothco and Frost are often mentioned as having the best decals. They don't advertise Fender decals on their site - probably has something to do with copyright infringement - but I think if you send them a detailed description of what you want, you'll get it.

There are lotsa sellers on eBay, since it's somewhat more lawless due to suppliers being somewhat less accountable, but the usual caveats apply - let the buyer beware.

I also noticed these guys - stuff looks good.

The guy that I used to use used to hide and re-surface under a new name all the time.  His stuff was top notch though.

But I don't label my guitars 'Fender' anymore. 

I also noticed these guys - stuff looks good.

Very close indeed! Thanks for the link.

Mayfly said:
But I don't label my guitars 'Fender' anymore.

I totally understand. I built my first Warmoth 10 years ago and it's something I haven't figured out if I even want to do yet.

I understand the desire to have something that "looks" right, but I've always been in the camp that wants things to work right and have a high degree of quality and reliability, and I don't want those who don't know any better to give credit to a manufacturer that had very little to do with it. Works out well, as I don't end up breaking any intellectual property infringement laws. Cuts my civil/criminal legal liability down to a half-dozen incidents a day, as opposed to some (sometimes dramatically) higher number. At least, in the US.

Cagey said:
I understand the desire to have something that "looks" right, but I've always been in the camp that wants things to work right and have a high degree of quality and reliability, and I don't want those who don't know any better to give credit to a manufacturer that had very little to do with it. Works out well, as I don't end up breaking any intellectual property infringement laws. Cuts my civil/criminal legal liability down to a half-dozen incidents a day, as opposed to some (sometimes dramatically) higher number. At least, in the US.

I agree completely with this. The only reason for me to consider using a licensed logo is to complete the look, I would never go out and say the guitar is a [insert brand]. But as a designer dealing with copyright laws on a daily basis, it's also strongly against my principles, thus why I still haven't been able to figure out the answer for myself.

Well, if it helps, most of the time the only reason anybody pays attention to IP infringement is if it impacts their commercial interests. The thinking is you're gaining unfair value that is rightfully due them. From that standpoint, building a fantastic guitar and putting Fender's name on it only benefits them, unless you're selling the instrument. So, if there's any fear of sanction/retribution, it's probably baseless in that scenario.

On the other hand, some companies maintain herds of lawyers on staff who can be a bit anal about any use of company property, no matter how trivial or non-threatening. Probably has something to do with justifying their existence.

I think that if I were to actually put a Fender decal on a headstock, I'd want to switch it up & get one made from the metal decal stock that the Warmoth decals are made from and have a "Fender-ized" version made in the same fashion.
I'm not a label purist, so I'm not concerned with how "period correct" it may not be.

Back