Neck Heavy and Chambered bodies,..... is it a problem???

Superbeast520

Im planning a Chambered Mahogany Strat body and am wondering would a Wenge Warmoth Pro neck cause the guitar to be neck heavy and pull the neck toward the ground??
This is very important too me as I will opt out of the Chambered body option should that be a possibility....  any Chambered body experiences would be appreciated. Thanks. :icon_scratch:

My latest build is a chambered black korina body with a black korina top. Maple neck with ebony fingerboard. I don't see any weight issues as of yet.
MULLY

My chambered swamp ash strat with  Anagre neck (pau ferro fretboard) does not have even the slightest neck dive.  Not the same woods at all, but I  really think the dimensions of the Strat and the usual strap button placement on Strats has a lot to do with the fact that I don't recall ever having played a Strat with neckdive. 

The double cut away style guitars (Strat, Soloist, J-Bass, P-Bass, etc.) usually do better than the single cutaway guitars (LP, Tele, etc.) when it comes to neck dive due to chambered bodies.  One caveat, when dealing with a bass, make everything on the headstock as light as possible, i.e. Ultralite tuners.  I have 2 chambered Swamp Ash J-Basses, one with a Maple/Rosewood neck and the other with a Wenge/Ebony neck.  They (the completed basses) both weigh the same and have no neck dive issues.  However, this was my experience and not shared by other forum members.

Yes I believe its the bass'es longer neck that creates a possible neck dive issue.

I didn't think it would be a problem with a strat as most chambered bodies still weigh similar to a light swamp ash body, and I"ve never heard of strat neck dive before, but I had run into a bummer of a post where unfortunantly a bass builder has encountered this problem, so I thought I better double check with some real owner feedback just to put myself at ease.

Thanks for all the info. :icon_thumright:

I built a tele with a chambered / contoured body.Fitted a big boatback neck.No balance issues but does sound amazing !!!

Yeah, I'm more than a month into this guitar, playing it every day, and I don't have any neck dive problems with it. It's really light too.
MULLY

Don't know that you would experience problems on a strat, but my chambered tele is a little neck heavy even though the neck is very thin (Wizard profile).

I just ordered parts for a new guitar, and again ordered a chambered tele but made sure to get slightly heavier than last time.

Actually, check the weight on the body. My first chambered body is 3lbs 2oz. That's too light. The guitar is neck heavy. My new body (on order for my new build) is 4lbs. I'll see how much a difference that makes.

Probably won't be a problem but it is amazing how much of the weight of a completed guitar comes from the hardware. I have the cbs size headstock and planet waves tuners and if not for the body being mahogany it could have been top heavy.

Back