Neck Profile Sample Chunks.

pwrmac7600

So Obviously I have no idea of what the costs would be to the company but.....

Has Warmoth ever considered making little 3" cutoffs of all the different neck profiles they offer as samples?
You could even sell them for like $15 - $20. This would be a great way for builders to be able to get a profile in their hands to see how it feels. No frets, just a generic piece of fretboard thickness wood on top, nothing fancy. I understand this still wouldn't give you a 100% representation of the profile since you really gotta play on the neck to have 100% idea of the feel, but it would absolutely give most a much better idea of what profile would be better suited for them.

As the neck tapers and thickens normally which 3" section would be representative?

I can't speak for Warmoth but I have doubts that it would be viable.

Don’t see the point unless you are playing only cowboy chords and are always with the same 3 inches.  Not to mention unstrung necks are not a great indicator of how a neck will work playing.  Need to string set the relief and action.

The concept is a non-starter for myself.

I was just thinking about this today, so I did a quick search and saw that idea/request was shot down quickly in this post. Apart from ordering a neck with a SRV, 59 Roundback or Wolfgang profile to see if i like it, I could see how this could be beneficial for making potential purchases. What if instead a 3" section, maybe a 5-7 fret section. When I compare my Fender Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson, Robert Cray or Acoustasonic necks ( as well as the Warmoth necks I have purchased) I would think the first 5-7 frets of a neck give you a good a idea of that profile.

I would think the first 5-7 frets of a neck give you a good a idea of that profile.

I suppose they should offer every available nut wi(D)th, as well? How much would you be willing to pay for such a product?

Seems like a waste of time and wood. Also, how are they supposed to manufacture just a small length of an entire neck? It just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
1/3 of the price of an unfinished neck? I am talking about the feel of the neck in your hands with the different profile, so a nut isn't needed. The descriptions and visual images of the different neck profiles are helpful, but until your holding the shape in your hands you don't really know if it would be beneficial.

Long ago, the first Warmoth neck I bought was a standard thin and it worked so well that over the years the next 14 or so necks that I bought were also standard thins. A few years ago I got to wondering if any of the other profiles would be better for me, so I ordered 4 others (wizard, wolfgang, 59, and boatneck). The boatneck was the only one I could not get along with. It was a somewhat expensive learning experience to find out that the standard thin really is the one for me.

1/3 of the price of an unfinished neck? I am talking about the feel of the neck in your hands with the different profile, so a nut isn't needed. The descriptions and visual images of the different neck profiles are helpful, but until your holding the shape in your hands you don't really know if it would be beneficial.

This is only looking at the material cost. It's not considering the overhead, R&D, and all the other aspects of accounting, inventory (both physical and bookkeeping), and supply chain management. And that's before even getting into the CNC & tooling setup.

Before warmoth what did you do? You went to a store and tried them. Go to a store and make a relationship with a brick and morter place. Where do you live? Maybe we can make suggestions where to go. My place has LPS with 59 necks , Wolfgang type necks, baseball bat types , c necks etc. Plus it's good to go out and meet people instead of just the ups man.

Before warmoth what did you do? You went to a store and tried them. Go to a store and make a relationship with a brick and morter place. Where do you live? Maybe we can make suggestions where to go. My place has LPS with 59 necks , Wolfgang type necks, baseball bat types , c necks etc. Plus it's good to go out and meet people instead of just the ups man.
Then I'll probably end up buying that guitar at the store. Your suggestion is a good one and the most logical.

The neck I ordered two months ago (59 roundback), I went by the overall thickness of a neck I have on another guitar and what looks the most similar in regards to profile. It’s not a perfect science by any means. But I opted to go a smidge bigger than I think would be ideal. It’s a custom unfinished neck, so I’ll simply scrape, sand, or even break out the spoke shave if it’s not quite to my liking. You would have more leeway to manipulate the shoulders than the overall thickness, but it’s surprising how removing a little bit makes a neck feel either better or worse.

I guess I’ll see when it arrives, it’s coming with a finished body that’s also custom, so unfortunately I probably have a good two months before I see either one. I suppose it depends on your skill set with woodworking and how comfortable you feel working on a piece you just spent a couple hundred (or more) bucks on.

It maybe we get a group of people together and invest into 15 or so necks. And we rent them out to others so they can get a feel for them.

Maybe an idea for the W. Have 5 profiles in 3 different nut widths. People pay shipping both ways and a user fee. Deposit is cost of the neck. Upon return (say 2 weeks), you’re refunded Deposit less user fee.

It maybe we get a group of people together and invest into 15 or so necks. And we rent them out to others so they can get a feel for them.

Maybe an idea for the W. Have 5 profiles in 3 different nut widths. People pay shipping both ways and a user fee. Deposit is cost of the neck. Upon return (say 2 weeks), you’re refunded Deposit less user fee.
Or may be everyone should invest in digital calipers, measure their favorite neck/nut and buy accordingly.

I’ve had the same exact thought, I’ve considered posting it several times. Basically, everyone that throws in for a neck ends up with a neck and the end. Everyone fills a few Google polls to determine the specs for the lot, then they are ordered in roasted maple with Goto tuners for the cheapest option.

I’ve been so curious, I now have a standard thin, SRV, Clapton, 59 and fatback at this point. I think a wizard is too “D shaped “and I have a 52 Tilley with a neck very similar to the boat neck. I’m not really a fan. All that is left to try is the Wolfgang. (…and of course the various nut widths)

The neck I ordered two months ago (59 roundback), I went by the overall thickness of a neck I have on another guitar and what looks the most similar in regards to profile. It’s not a perfect science by any means. But I opted to go a smidge bigger than I think would be ideal. It’s a custom unfinished neck, so I’ll simply scrape, sand, or even break out the spoke shave if it’s not quite to my liking. You would have more leeway to manipulate the shoulders than the overall thickness, but it’s surprising how removing a little bit makes a neck feel either better or worse.

I guess I’ll see when it arrives, it’s coming with a finished body that’s also custom, so unfortunately I probably have a good two months before I see either one. I suppose it depends on your skill set with woodworking and how comfortable you feel working on a piece you just spent a couple hundred (or more) bucks on.
I'm having great results with a Fatback that I trimmed down like you described. It's so weirdly asymmetrical that guitars I thought felt good before are painful now.

You'll probably find something you like, but if you have ambition to get something a little custom, buy some warmoth parts. I just finished building a jazzmaster, with three minihumbuckers, special switching options ... and guess what: Fender made one (before I finished but after I started putting it together!). It's not as nice as mine, on many levels ... but I can say I made mine.

I'm pretty sure the fender people read what's going on this website to get ideas.

My cousin would customize cars and motorcycles from parts and sell the completed vehicles. There's something very satisfying about gathering all the parts, and putting it together yourself. I don't have the resources to build cars, but this comes close, and when you make music, there's a real connection.

If you live in NYS I could give you some recommendations on shops.

Last edited:
I'm having great results with a Fatback that I trimmed down like you described. It's so weirdly asymmetrical that guitars I thought felt good before are painful now.
Yes, thank you! It’s incredibly satisfying being able to shape the profile for yourself. When it feels right, it is right. What the profile ultimately looks like is beside the point, just like your “weirdly asymmetrical”.

Been there done that, it works

What shop are going to? I saw you live in charlotte, that's a pretty big city, so you'll have no problems finding a store that has gits to try. Tell them that your trying to compare different profiles, and if they are any good they'll give you a bunch, and you can sit in a room a try them with a good amp.
Honestly, I have to say, that giving someone a seven fret section of a neck, and asking them what they thought, I'd be surprised if they told me they had learned some valuable information. The only way to know is go play some guitars, that's fully strung up and playable.

What shop are going to? I saw you live in charlotte, that's a pretty big city, so you'll have no problems finding a store that has gits to try.
Sorry Rick, I happen to live in Charlotte. I don’t think the ones asking for samples or guidance live here.

It’s all good, no biggie.

Back