New original EP: These Rocks are Red for a Reason

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
I just released four new songs, and decided to do something different this time around. If Ennio Morricone were in a rock band it might sound something like this; kind of a Tex-Mex inspired flavor. The eponymous song even features a baritone guitar and a pedal designed by our very own @mayfly !

It's called These Rocks are Red for a Reason. If you have a few minutes, head over the BandCamp, give it a listen, and let me know what you think! It will also be streaming on Spotify et al in the next week or so.

a0380192357_16.jpg

Sounds killer, digging the riffs.............I may have even heard a tip of the hat to the" Narcos" theme song.

Man I like that! Especially the beginning of These Rocks are Red for a Reason ... you could jam on that for 3 minutes and the audience would be out of their seats. Did you set out for it to be like that or just happenstance? Also, I'm picking up a Southern Rock Influence or is that just my imagination? The MP3's sound high quality.

Excellent work, very artistic arrangements, and its got that cinematic vibe going on for sure. I like the strings! Bass is especially awesome on all 4 tracks, fat and solid! What did you use for that?

Excellent work, very artistic arrangements, and its got that cinematic vibe going on for sure. I like the strings! Bass is especially awesome on all 4 tracks, fat and solid! What did you use for that?

You see that pedal up there in post #3? It is not to be ignored for bass. :)

And thanks!

Man I like that! Especially the beginning of These Rocks are Red for a Reason ... you could jam on that for 3 minutes and the audience would be out of their seats. Did you set out for it to be like that or just happenstance? Also, I'm picking up a Southern Rock Influence or is that just my imagination? The MP3's sound high quality.

Interesting story:

I just finished shooting a series of three videos for Warmoth that focus on baritone guitars. They are scheduled to go live in July. They are:

1. Baritone guitar vs Bass6
2. Installing a baritone conversion neck
3. The role of a bari guitar in a band

At the very end of video #2 I was jamming on the bari in front of the camera and out popped that little riff. I liked it so much I used it for the song that I perform in video #3. So you'll soon be able to actually see the genesis of the song, and then me playing all the various parts.

Also, I'm picking up a Southern Rock Influence or is that just my imagination? The MP3's sound high quality.

I wouldn't call it southern rock, but rather Tex-Mex or something. More south-WEST than south-EAST, if that makes sense. The southwest is my favorite part of the US, which is why we are moving again in June, this time to Logan, UT. Not exactly southwest, but southwest-adjacent.

Mostly this new music was a conscious effort to blend spaghetti Western theatrical stylings with rock. I just wanted to see what it might sound like, and based on the response I've gotten I intend to explore the idea some more.

Nice job, I really like this vibe, and the production is once again top notch. I really enjoyed The Nightingale.

At the very end of video #2 I was jamming on the bari in front of the camera and out popped that little riff. I liked it so much I used it for the song that I perform in video #3. So you'll soon be able to actually see the genesis of the song, and then me playing all the various parts.
Actually the creative process is really interesting to see how it unfolds. I'm thinking about the recent Beatles Movie and the song Get Back. I'm looking forward to those videos.

Man, your tone is killer. It's like a celebration of the Black and Gold series, or a Texas Tea Party! Hombre!!!

Man, your tone is killer. It's like a celebration of the Black and Gold series, or a Texas Tea Party! Hombre!!!

Thanks so much! I didn't use the Black/Gold on this at all.....though an Hombre neck would have been perfect! You'll see all the instruments that were used in the video. All Warmoth except my trusty old Fender P Bass.

Looks like the EP hit all the streaming services today, so for convenience here you go:

Back