New Work Bench

rgand

Epic Member
I just finished up an assembly work bench that also serves as an extension top for my table saw. I initially had the saw flush with the top but the guide bar for the miter guage ran into it so I had to raise the whole saw just enough for that to clear. Locking castors allow it to be used anywhere within 23 feet (the length of the cord) of an outlet.

oCySI0a.jpg

Eventually all that open space underneath it will become some kind of storage for patterns and whatnot. Exactly what will become clear as time passes. It would be nice to have my vacuum under there to catch most of the sawdust.

Now I can make a router sled to shave down body woods.

Look'n good there, Bro! looks to be a good, solid build, well done! I remember when my bench looked that new, (and clean :laughing7:)! Never had wheels on mine, but it's so darned heavy, I only moved it once, when I was ready to enclose my basement shop. Hasn't moved in the last 25 years or so.

The table saw adaptation is a nice feature, a large out feed table can really be useful. I built a router table insert into the top of mine. I recessed an aluminum plate to mount the router to, cut parallel dados for the miter gauge, and slots to hold an adjustable fence. It was a rather easy mod, and it really earned it's keep over the years.

Good luck with your new bench, can't wait to see the goodies it produces!  :icon_thumright:

Nice design, and nicely done!  Pretty handy, having a worktable you can walk around.

I rarely found need for an outfeed table, but I also had a bigger saw. When I had to rip something long like sheet stock, I had a standalone roller support I could place out beyond the saw.  What I did have were larger wings (actually, one of the wings was a router table), which also performed as bench space quite often.

Thanks Steve, it sounds like you had some good serviceable ideas in yours. I like your idea of insetting a router plate in it.

Kevin, when I was a kid, my dad had a large table saw with extensions so you could move the fince out to something like 30" to rip wider stuff. He showed me how to use it when I was tall enough. It really was handy. He also had an adjustable roller stand like you did to catch longer pieces.

Yeah, Trevor, it does have that new bench smell. Heck, the wood hasn't even started to darken yet.

Clean won't last. Maybe up to the first body I finish on it. :icon_biggrin:

Incidentally, in my experience, that potential storage space under the bench is nice, but if it's not enclosed it'll turn into a massive sawdust magnet in no time. Anything stored under there will get buried. Also, might want to consider drawers instead. Even though they use space themselves, the usage may be more efficient.

I've thought about that. I have some 1/8" masonite I can make a divider between the saw and that space. That means sawdust will build up between them. Fast. I agree that drawers would be better but enclosed shelves with doors might work, too. I'll wait and see what need arises there.

I semi-enclosed the space below a couple tools just to hold scrap, as much of it was hardwoods I didn't want to toss (it's surprising how often a small piece of hardwood comes in handy). At least with that stuff, I didn't care if it got covered in sawdust. But, most other "below" areas got turned into cabinets or drawers.

I saw a video recently of some guy building something, don't recall exactly what, and he had a drawer full of hardwood scraps he dug into. It looked like a good idea.

That’s a good looking bench! Looks like a good location too, good light! That’s where my bench suffers, I don’t have near enough light available. I enjoy these threads, I am very interested in the different spaces we all use to pursue this craft. Everything from full wood shops to a beach towel in the bedroom.

Thanks, Swarfrat, VB. I don't have a good place to put a work bench, either. That's why it's on casters, so I can move it to where I can best use it or to move it out of the way of something else. The photo was taken outside the garage so I could get a decent photo of it. It went back inside afterwards. On a windy day, I can roll it out and use it without needing to sweep up afterwards. :icon_biggrin:

I also like this type of thread. Everyone has ideas, many you can adapt to your own needs. What are some of the benches and work spaces you guys are using? Photos anyone?

I really like that, inspires me to do something similar with the vise built in & a side drill affixed to it for drilling output jacks.

I really like the side drill idea, Tony. That could be useful for many things. No vice on this bench because I have a couple of them elsewhere.

When we moved in, we piled junk in the garage. And tried to use the itty bitty mower shed for a shop. And now they're both impassable. I'd like to get all the junk storage in the shed and have a real workshop in the garage, but swapping the two would be a logistical nightmare. And I need to wire the garage too.

I think I could rent a storage shed for a month, move the crap out, wire the shop, then quit paying on the storage shed and voila - my wife's friend's notes passed back and forth in 7th grade finally go away! Then there's that freezer that's taped shut and double bagged but must always be plugged in she refuses to talk about....

swarfrat said:
When we moved in, we piled junk in the garage. And tried to use the itty bitty mower shed for a shop. And now they're both impassable. I'd like to get all the junk storage in the shed and have a real workshop in the garage, but swapping the two would be a logistical nightmare. And I need to wire the garage too.

I think I could rent a storage shed for a month, move the crap out, wire the shop, then quit paying on the storage shed and voila - my wife's friend's notes passed back and forth in 7th grade finally go away! Then there's that freezer that's taped shut and double bagged but must always be plugged in she refuses to talk about....
:laughing11: :laughing7:

Thanks, Seamas.

Today I got to use the thing. I made a bed for the router sled. Next I'll make the slider that holds the router and I'm ready to go. I made it big enough to make a bass neck blank if I ever want to.

Thank you, DP.

Today I have a slot to route in the cross piece for the sled and it'll be finished. Looking forward to trying it out on the poplar blank I have for the Faultline.

Back