NGD yet again oops

TBurst Std

Well pulled the trigger on 1 yesterday. I played a PRS 513 years ago that I fell in lust with at the store. Didn't have the bank to get it then.
Saw something on Saturday that sparked the 513 desire again (plus an upcoming gig where I need HB and convincing SC sounds, but minimal stage room, so I'd have to take 2 and put one behind stage till time to change out).

Was researching 513s (which are discontinued) and came across a comparison to the current 509. Yes its less tones, but I wasn't a huge fan of the heavy HB sound anyways. The 509's tone was better in HB and much better in SC. Started looking at used 509s, and,,,,,well the weight and price were right. If we don't bond, I'll sell it and make back 95+% of what I spent.

I've had 2 other PRS's (SE variants) that never made it through the honeymoon. Maybe this Core model will?

Attachments

• PRS 1.jpg
    PRS 1.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 13
  • PRS 2.jpg
    PRS 2.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 13
I hope it inspires me. That’s the main thing a guitar has to do. It can sound great, even play great, but if it doesn’t inspire me, it’s worthless.

I would give a like here but, you did not give heatmiser one, so I cannot.

Give me a link. I will. But actually I prefer the Coldmiser. That’s an awesome themed guitar that I would rock all winter long. And into spring with the temps here lately.

Heatmiser is good, but I think Coldmiser is awesome! Remember I asked to borrow it for my Christmas gigs.

I remember when the 513 came out and I played one, I was very new to guitar but thought it was an excellent instrument

I’m unaware of the 509 but it sure looks like a winner from here, happy NGD

The 513 used 5 pickups. It had qty 2 blade switches. A 5 way controlled pickup switching ala a Strat. The other was a 3 way that controlled the voicing of the 2 neck coils and 2 bridge coils. Choices were Heavy Humbucking, Humbucking and SC.

The 509 also uses 5 pickups with a single blade switch. A 5 way ala a Strat. It also has 2 toggle switches that control the voicing of the neck pair of coils and the bridge pair of coils. Voices are HB or SC.

This is more than just coil splitting. It’s closer to the splat option done by Zhangbucker pups. As I have a guitar with those, the PRS is also doing something more in its electronics.

I found the voicings more desirable in the 509. Bonus, you can preset the voicings and just use the pup switch. The 513 required the use of 2 switches to say go from Neck SC to Bridge HB

Here’s a demo of a 509.

Received it yesterday. Only had 5-10 minutes to play it as I had to prep for a Friday gig with a different guitar.

Plays great and sounds great. An initial impression was the humbucker mode was, I not say weak, but not as hot as expected. Then again I was playing it against my Oxblood LP. Maybe it was just my ears at that point in time.

Straplocks arrive Friday. Strap arrives Monday.

Should be able to offer it some decent play time Saturday as my taxes are 99.9% done.

Back