Non-Warmoth-induced GAS

reluctant-builder

I just came across an auction for a left-handed Hagstrom Swede with P90 pickups and it got the GAS going pretty badly. I wanted to hear how it sounded, and I found a demo of a right-handed model (surprise, surprise!) on youTube. Man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Us8-SK_FQ

I already own a Swede and a Super Swede. And my Super is Vintage Burst, like this P90 version (VSB is the only lefty finish option). So, I won't be buying it ... though Hagstroms are exceedingly affordable for how great they are.

However, there is a guy who has at his shop a lefty Super Swede with an uncharacteristic finish ... which, if my better sense doesn't prevail, I might buy and try to convert from a humbucking guitar to a P90 model. This is seriously an addiction.  :tard:

Yeah. For Made in Asia guitars, they really are amazingly good. Inexpensive with quality to rival the American-made models. Enough people have said that they are as good or better than many of the gajillion Les Paul variations that exist for me to think it's not hyperbole.

What bugs me about this video is that the guy is a better player than me and he doesn't even use his pinky, plus he's got his thumb wrapped all the way around the neck.  :-\

reluctant-builder said:
Yeah. For Made in Asia guitars, they really are amazingly good. Inexpensive with quality to rival the American-made models. Enough people have said that they are as good or better than many of the gajillion Les Paul variations that exist for me to think it's not hyperbole.

This is entirely unsurprising - the asian guitars above the dead-rock-bottom entry level are generally pretty well made at least, and pretty awesome as the pricepoint goes up.

What bugs me about this video is that the guy is a better player than me and he doesn't even use his pinky, plus he's got his thumb wrapped all the way around the neck.  :-\

There's lotsa guys who play "wrong' and make some awesome noises.  See, e.g., Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, etc., etc., ad nauseam, ad infinitum.

Bagman

If I were to consider a Super Swede, the Tremar P90 version is pretty hard to beat...

Tremar_Super_Swede_P90_WHT_6961d727bbd7a3ed9a00cb8b145a3d90.jpg

...but right now I could seriously use one of these Vikings:

Tremar_Viking_Deluxe_BLK_dfe5c526b2bbfe486fc1c3620d8e5935.jpg

It suits our band's sound even better than my Swede, even after I've had that modded. That process has been put on hold btw as I have been laid off from work. It wasn't my dream job or place to work, but it was a adequate source of income and often enjoyable.

I would LOVE a Swede Tremar, or any of their Tremar guitars but ... alas ... no lefties. Where's the sad trombone emoticon?

Bagman, yes ... I was not criticizing his way of playing just noting that it's not the "traditionally correct" method. Obviously that has hurt him not at all, nor any of the others you've mentioned.

It reminds me of a thought I had last night about how a great guitarist could do great things with even a Squier Affinity and a mediocre guitarist with the world's finest axe in his hands would accomplish only mediocre things. Great tools are great in the hands of great craftsmen, and they can do great things even with crappy tools, but great tools in the hands of crappy craftsmen will yield only crap.

k-k-kboooman said:
That process has been put on hold btw as I have been laid off from work. It wasn't my dream job or place to work, but it was a adequate source of income and often enjoyable.

Oh, crap. Condolences. I just sent you a PM asking about the mod, too. I'm sorry to hear you've run into this misfortune.

reluctant-builder said:
k-k-kboooman said:
That process has been put on hold btw as I have been laid off from work. It wasn't my dream job or place to work, but it was a adequate source of income and often enjoyable.

Oh, crap. Condolences. I just sent you a PM asking about the mod, too. I'm sorry to hear you've run into this misfortune.

Thx! My profession is in pretty high demand so I'm not all that worried, more like annoyed. PM answered.

I'm not a fan of the aptly named "Beluga" bass. I do own an HB-4, however. It's pretty great, considering I paid $290 for it. And mine's a lefty, which it seems they don't offer any more.

HB4_TCH_91db98761051b6846bf0954619f419d6.jpg

can't say i care for the way the horns look, but i'm sure it's a fine instrument. I don't hear about Hagstroms too often, but it's usually good when i do

You guys would love my local shop that I got my Taylor from.  They have almost an entire wall of Hagstroms.  The owner there really likes them. 

reluctant-builder said:
Too bad you're all the way on the other side of the continent... I'd definitely love to visit a shop with a wall of Hagstroms.

Road trip?

I'm seriously gassing for a few guitars; in fact, I'm frothing at the mouth for them...

Jackson USA Custom Shop Star

Jackson USA Custom Shop Warrior

Moser Custom Shop FastStar

Carvin V220

I think I may try to score the V220 first, as that's the cheapest, and I just really have the urge for a neck-through guitar that I really love.  I'm just not "feelin' it" with my 2003 Jackson USA KV2.

I just popped into my local shop for some strap buttons, and I took a few photos for you guys.  They used to have all the Hagstroms on one wall, but I guess recently they broke them up.  Sorry if some of the pics are a little blurry. 

6156795528_4e67939bb0_z.jpg

6156795410_52c093ef9b_z.jpg

6156251699_5b9437238b_z.jpg

6156251597_08e91cdbbc_z.jpg

6156795106_6ca4d122a4_z.jpg

6156795002_fe4661420b_z.jpg

6156794828_aa6bb4b176_z.jpg

6156794720_43dbbe8758_z.jpg

Back