Oh yea...it's purple

W

Watershed

So, I wanted to do something a little different with this one.
After 3 wenge, 1 canary, 2 maple, and 2 mahogany necks, I decided it was time to try something with purpleheart.
If nothing else, it makes a strong statement.
Here it is.
4ConversionFront.jpg

...and the back.
4ConversionBack.jpg

It's a 24 3/4 conversion, reverse strat, with wenge (gotta have wenge) fingerboard.
'59 Roundback Contour with a little knot in it right at the first fret, but it's little.

This body that this is going to go with was from "those other guys" in WA.
It was up on the "internet specials" page at a very nice price.
Although, it was already routed SSS, and for a Hipshot hardtail, so I have to deal with that.
FlametopDinkyFront.jpg

...and a one piece back to boot.
FlametopDinkyBack.jpg

Nice fit.
FitsUpNice.jpg

The neck cost more than the body.

My real issue right now is deciding what color will go with that bold a$$ purple.

I'm thinking of a faded black stain on the top, and probably natural on the back with a matching color grainfiller.
There really aren't that many picks out there of this combo.

James

Man, I love purple guitars, but I am wondering what shade of purple would go well with the Purpleheart ?
Regardless, you have some nice woods there to start with and I am sure she will be a beauty,  :glasses9:
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

This is my own dye job in progress - that's MEK dye, red with a bit of black and brown, and it's still got a purpley tint to it. If you started  with that red and added a bit of blue you might hit the right color pretty quickly, of course you should get a test piece of wood first.

tfarny said:
This is my own dye job in progress - that's MEK dye, red with a bit of black and brown, and it's still got a purpley tint to it. If you started  with that red and added a bit of blue you might hit the right color pretty quickly, of course you should get a test piece of wood first.

That is really close as it stands.  Should not be too hard hit a good match.
+1 on the trial test. 
:headbang:

Hmm, so the consensus is a purple top huh?

I'm a little apprehensive about an entirely purple guitar, but I'm going to remain open to the idea.

I have a full set of the MEK dyes and some scrap flame maple laying around.  I'm going to do testboards in black, a few shades of purple, and perhaps blue.  I have another flame top that I need to sort out as well.

I think one way or the other, the back will be clear.  I want to match the grainfiller on the back, to the color of the top.
So, if it's a purple top, its going to be purple grainfiller.
Perhaps like a faded purple...

I should be able to get to it in the next few days.
Thanks for all the replies and I'll keep you all updated.

James

Watershed said:
Hmm, so the consensus is a purple top huh?

I'm a little apprehensive about an entirely purple guitar, but I'm going to remain open to the idea.

I have a full set of the MEK dyes and some scrap flame maple laying around.  I'm going to do testboards in black, a few shades of purple, and perhaps blue.  I have another flame top that I need to sort out as well.

I think one way or the other, the back will be clear.  I want to match the grainfiller on the back, to the color of the top.
So, if it's a purple top, its going to be purple grainfiller.
Perhaps like a faded purple...

I should be able to get to it in the next few days.
Thanks for all the replies and I'll keep you all updated.

James
I would do clear grainfiller on the back. It's one-piece, leave it alone :p

-1 to the purple grainfill - that just sounds weird. Purple top and natural back, we'll have twins.

You have brown and purple.  Making a matching purple or brown will be hard, and it can look bad if they are even slightly different shades.

I would do a light blue with cream knobs and pickups and chrome hardware.  Gold hardware would work too but I'm morally against it.

Another option would be a transparent cream (off-white) guitar and that should have gold hardware...

Those colors would look best IMO without the need for a precise shade. 

Well, I got the test board out to try out a few ideas.

I did a "purple" which was 50/50 Red/Black MEK Dye.
FirstTest3.jpg

Eeh, I don't know.  It just doesn't pop.

Then I did a blue, which is straight MEK Blue Dye.  I did not use much dye, so the yellow of the maple turned it a sort of teal.
FirstTest4.jpg

Here they are together:
FirstTest2.jpg

FirstTest1.jpg

I'd say the purple is pretty close, but it's never going to be right on.
I'm really leaning toward the blue / green for a contrast right now, or at least some sort of other contrasting color.

I think going with a contrast on this one would look much better.
The purple color of the neck is going to change shades over time and there really will be no way to get a perfect color match.
Then being off, just looks...off.

I'm trying a dark blue and a few other options out too, but here's what I have so far.

James

Back