Paint for pickguard

teleme01

I am spending a lot of time drinking coffee and staring off into the internets contemplating color coordination of pickguard with woods and the etc... I feel that I am safe to use a warmoth pickguard (jazzmaster) due to possible compatibility issues but there isn't a red that I love and so am thinking why can't I just spray paint a warmoth pickguard the color I want. What would be the reason not to or if it's advisable is there certain products that work better, or products to avoid. I am looking for a flat red. How does the food color work?

You used to be able to get pickguard swatches... might be worth a call to get some and experiment. They're like 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches and you could get 3. Not sure if they do it anymore.

I've found the best way to find the color for a pickguard is to ask my wife for what she thinks. Show her warmoth website. You get some good buy in

Perhaps try some kind of enamel on a spare pickguard as a test and go from there.
I have a les Paul kit pickguard I could use, I googled and read to scratch first, spray preferably "krylon" and then put a finish, maybe shellac?

I have a les Paul kit pickguard I could use, I googled and read to scratch first, spray preferably "krylon" and then put a finish, maybe shellac?

Investigate enamel paint. It will be more durable for what you want to do.
Sand the pickguard, enamel primer, enamel colour of your choice.

FYI. Pickguards painted on the front side will scratch quickly. Your best bet is to get a clear one and paint the back of it.

Issue, you want matte finish. Even if you use matte paint, I have the feeling it would still have some gloss.
You might be able to knock that off with some really fine mesh sanding.

If I was you, I’d either get the template for the guard you want , or buy the cheapest one out there; then send it to Pickguardian and have it made for you.

Cerakote makes a spray on air cured C-series ceramic "paint". Its more of a satin finish as opposed to flat. They recommend a light sandblast (etch) and a wipe down with acetone (degrease). I don't know how well a pickguard would tolerate that. I think you can also use a scotchbrite pad and maybe denatured alcohol. A scratched/etched surface with no oils is the key. You would need a 0.8 tip HVLP sprayer to apply it. I have used the E-series coating on metal parts (High temp oven cured-not pickguard material friendly) and it is unbelievably scratch resistant and slick. Anything steel wool and below will not touch it. They don't have a large selection of colors, but you can mix them together to get a custom shade.

A much more involved, time consuming and expensive way to go compared to Krylon. But, If the C-series coating is anything like the E, you would have a extremely scratch resistant pickguard. Another bonus- it can withstand temperatures of 300 deg F for those really hot gigs.

If it were me, I'd either just use the pickguard I have, paint it with Krylon to see what happens, or just use it with the odd color, or have new one cut in the color I like, and put the old one in the parts bin, or try to sell it.

What's the worse that can happen? Other then you'll have pickguard that looks like a kid tried to make it look nice, but in the end it got all scratched up. Maybe you'll like the look.

Last edited:
I am spending a lot of time drinking coffee and staring off into the internets contemplating color coordination of pickguard with woods and the etc... I feel that I am safe to use a warmoth pickguard (jazzmaster) due to possible compatibility issues but there isn't a red that I love and so am thinking why can't I just spray paint a warmoth pickguard the color I want. What would be the reason not to or if it's advisable is there certain products that work better, or products to avoid. I am looking for a flat red. How does the food color work?
Food color wont work. Paint will for the short term work but soon will look bad. Get new guard.

I am leaning toward th black pearl with an ebony fretboard, I think I can make it work.

What's the worse that can happen? Other then you'll have pickguard that looks like a kid tried to make it look nice, but in the end it got all scratched up. Maybe you'll like the look.
That fits my shovel theory, my art side sees where "looks like a kid tried " is a good theme for a build.

Back