Roadhouse Build thread

rgand

Epic Member
OK, then. Today I started work on the next project. I've been making patterns and ordering things. All that done, I was in the garage readying for the first cut on the beautiful piece of mahogany I got from Ian (thanks, man) when the brown truck drove up and handed me a suspicious brown box straight from Warmoth.

It is made with their new meat cleaver headstock design.
XYoNRnC.jpg

Actually, I will cut my own headstock and thanks to Brian, got it ordered with the straight 6 paddle headstock.

EDIT: the neck pictured here was not used and further along, you'll see the actual one that got installed on this guitar.

The first cut on the body so it's officially underway, now.
2HIXFhf.jpg

This thing has an amazing grain that follows the body shape.
J2WJoSs.jpg

Ready to route, now.
HUPm3Al.jpg

So what's it going to look like?

The Roadhouse:
Fp1pGEu.png

It looks a lot like the Telerauder but it's considerably narrower (+-1") and shorter (+-1/2") so it'll fit in a readily available case. The color will most likely be a brown to clear burst, not the blue pictured but that was drawn long before Ian came along with the mahogany.

Thanks, that mahogany is really something. It deserves better than just transparent blue, although that would still be nice.

Oh, gee, you placed your template perfectly to accent that swerve in the grain. I'm so happy to see that blank finally turning into a guitar.

I moved the outline all over both sides of the piece, turning it both ways and all, before I found that exact grain alignment. Anything else was not dynamic like that. I'm tickled as toast. Thanks, Ian. It's a spectacular piece.

Awesome! One could think that the grain decided the shape.

Narrower you say? Do you mean the waist? We will need some side-by-side comparison later on.

By the way - that bridge on the mockup ... is that based on a real bridge?

That twisty grain really matches the body shape well. Look forward to seeing how you progress.

Logrinn said:
Awesome! One could think that the grain decided the shape.
It almost did. It certainly determined the placement.

stratamania said:
That twisty grain really matches the body shape well. Look forward to seeing how you progress.
Thanks, I had to angle the template on it to take the best advantage of the grain.

Logrinn said:
Narrower you say? Do you mean the waist? We will need some side-by-side comparison later on.
The whole thing is proportionately narrower. I did it that way to retain the overall look. That will make a good picture when it's completed.

Fat Pete said:
Logrinn said:
...By the way - that bridge on the mockup ... is that based on a real bridge?

It's a Trem King
Pete is right about the bridge (thanks for posting the link, Pete). It's a Trem King TKS-2. They mount solidly to the body like a hardtail and the tone block works the strings. I have wanted to try one so that's what I ordered. Had to get some routing patterns and a bit to do the job. If this works out, I'll go with these when I want a vibrato on any future builds. They offer a shorter one (TKS-3) that works for humbuckers.

Thanks, Frank.

I worked up a brown burst with pearl pickguard to see what it might look like. I'm likin' this a lot.
VxzlKqz.png

Thanks, Kevin. That neck pickup is a Bill Lawrence L500C. The bridge is a Bill Lawrence L290TL. Becky got them out to me in a couple weeks.

I'll be interested to hear how that L500C works out in that position. I've used some L500 pickups, but only the "XL" versions, which can be pretty aggressive. But, even those are surprisingly versatile with just the volume knob.

Cagey said:
I'll be interested to hear how that L500C works out in that position. I've used some L500 pickups, but only the "XL" versions, which can be pretty aggressive. But, even those are surprisingly versatile with just the volume knob.
It's just a slight bit hotter than an L500R, which I put in my Strat a few years ago. Becky recommended it to match up better with the L290. I have no experience with the L290 so this will be interesting.

You'll see this on Doug's neck plate thread but I wanted to include it here. Doug does spectacular work. This is stainless steel. Beautiful stuff when worked properly.

OObWTts.jpg

Back