SSB Bass Weight Question

davegardner0

First post here, hopefully this is the right forum...

I'm thinking of building a new bass for my wife, who is a bass player. Currently she has a MIJ Fender Mustang and while it sounds awesome with flatwounds, it's a bit heavy for her (9 lbs). Also the lack of arm/tummy contours makes it a little uncomfortable.

So, I noticed Warmoth has a line of short scale versions of P and J basses, as well as the G4. I'm pretty confident in my ability to put together / finish a bass from parts but I don't want to spend the money and time only to end up with a bass that's just as heavy as the Mustang.
I'm thinking the precision would be her first choice (similar setup/sound to the Mustang, plus I'm guessing the smallest/lightest body). I'm thinking if the bass was 7 lbs or under she would be very, very happy with it.

I saw in the Warmoth showcase some alder SSB precision bodies between 3 lb 9 oz and 4lb. If I use a 30" maple neck, "standard" hardware/P pickup, and the Schaller ultralite tuners Warmoth recommends, what could I expect the finished bass to weigh? Is 3.5 lbs a reasonable guess for everything besides the body?

I also saw Warmoth offers the SSB bodies in a chambered variant. Does anyone have experience with these? Some questions I have are:
-How much weight do you really save?
-Does this make the bass neck-heavy?
-Is the effect on tone minimal? (Less than or similar to a Thinline Tele, for instance?)

In general, what experiences have you all had with the SSB's? Does it sound reasonable that building one smartly could save a lot of weight over the Mustang?

Thanks!

Well on the topic of weight relieving, I have a 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard, which is pretty heavily chambered, and a 1994 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus, which has no chambering at all. Both guitars have the same hardware and woods. The Gibson weighs a lot less. I played a gig with the Epiphone and my back was dead for two days, with the gibson, it was fine within an hour. The tone on the gibson resonates a bit longer, and it has a slightly nicer acoustic tone, but you can still tell it's a solidbody electric. Both guitars are very similar in tone, you barely notice the difference in resonance. As for a bass, I can't really comment because I've only ever had unchambered basses. Hope this helps!  :eek:ccasion14:

Also, the Gibson weighs about 8.5 pounds, while the Epiphone is 11.5 pounds. Keep in mind that they're made of mahogany and maple, so it's a lot heavier than the average axe :laughing7:

Timmsie95 said:
Well on the topic of weight relieving, I have a 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard, which is pretty heavily chambered, and a 1994 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus, which has no chambering at all. Both guitars have the same hardware and woods. The Gibson weighs a lot less. I played a gig with the Epiphone and my back was dead for two days, with the gibson, it was fine within an hour. The tone on the gibson resonates a bit longer, and it has a slightly nicer acoustic tone, but you can still tell it's a solidbody electric. Both guitars are very similar in tone, you barely notice the difference in resonance. As for a bass, I can't really comment because I've only ever had unchambered basses. Hope this helps!  :eek:ccasion14:

I've had the same experience with guitars...I had a Fender 72 Thinline tele and also a G&L ASAT special semi-hollow and to be honest I could only tell the difference in (a) weight and (b) playing unplugged. Otherwise it was the same as a full solidbody. I'm hoping the bass would be the same way...

I have never played a chambered bass, so I can't help you there ...

However, the difference in weight between a short scale and regular scale bass will be negligible (all things being equal), and the real difference will be ease of playibility.

Weight has to do with body wood species, plain and simple.  My swamp ash Jazz 5 string is much heavier than my alder Jazz 5 string.

It would seem that alder and basswood are the lightest species that Warmoth offers.

AndyG said:
However, the difference in weight between a short scale and regular scale bass will be negligible (all things being equal), and the real difference will be ease of playibility.

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned, the short scale / Fender Mustang is 100% for the playability. And then given that I'm looking for a short scale, I want to build a light weight bass... I'm not going with short scale because I think it will be lighter

I think the short scale + chambered combination would cut the weight a fair bit, because with the short scale, you're cutting away about an inch or two (I'm guessing here) of wood away, and the overall center of balance is closer to your body, so it will also fee lighter.

After talking to my wife she is now leaning towards the G4 SSB with the 2x2 warmoth headstock, which I think would fit her better all around than a P or J body. She currently has an Ibanez SR700 34" scale which fits her really well except the scale length - the small body is good. Plus she wants more modern electronics like the Ibanez which would fit better on a more modern bass.

Can anybody give some feedback on how similar a G4 is to an Ibanez soundgear? Based on the web specs of each the necks look to be around the same width and the G4 is a touch thicker front to back, which could easily be re-shaped before I finish it. But what about the body and how it sits on the player? are they around the same size?

Also I don't see a chambered option for the G4 SSB - is it available? In general comparing the 34" scale bodies in the showcase the G4 seems to weigh less than a P or J, but I'd still want to get it chambered if possible.

I've been trying out some different dye finishes on some poplar scraps I have around, trying to get a good purpleburst. Here's my best attempt yet...this is just aniline dye with one coat of spray shellac over the top to seal it in.

Back