Too difficult to put up solid and transparent finishes in the neck builders?

Mapleg4

Why is it too difficult to put up solid and transparent finishes in the neck builders?

More realistically, I'd guess that transparent colored finishes are sold so infrequently that they figured they'd put their web development dollars into something else.

Bagman67 said:
More realistically, I'd guess that transparent colored finishes are sold so infrequently that they figured they'd put their web development dollars into something else.

Like what, exactly? I pretty much stayed off Warmoth.com for almost a year, after my Jazzmaster build, and I haven't seen any innovations beyond the Strat and Tele builder applications, which I think are as old as the date I abstained from giving myself a fresh case of GAS.

Bagman67 said:

That sucks. But they could at least have given us the solid finishes.

It's possible more would sell if people were aware that they're available. I haven't bought a solid/transparent one yet, but came close once and had to call to find out that they don't care. Specify the color you want in the notes on the order, and you got it. In some cases, there's not even any extra charge over the standard finish. For instance, if you want a black neck instead of clear.

Because of that, I'm sure you're right - there's no motivation to change the code or push the capability. But, for those who read this board, be aware that any neck they'll put a finish on, you can choose the finish you'd like if you're not interested in clear, according to this price schedule. Their only caveat is they won't guarantee it'll match your body if they're not shot at the same time.

Cagey said:
It's possible more would sell if people were aware that they're available. I haven't bought a solid/transparent one yet, but came close once and had to call to find out that they don't care. Specify the color you want in the notes on the order, and you got it. In some cases, there's not even any extra charge over the standard finish. For instance, if you want a black neck instead of clear.

Because of that, I'm sure you're right - there's no motivation to change the code or push the capability. But, for those who read this board, be aware that any neck they'll put a finish on, you can choose the finish you'd like if you're not interested in clear, according to this price schedule. Their only caveat is they won't guarantee it'll match your body if they're not shot at the same time.

So I can just say no neck finish on the order and just specify what finish and the price of it in the notes?

YEP  :icon_thumright:

Just add to the notes on checkout, what you want, and that you acknowledge the extra costs for doing it.
Will be added to your payment / account.

The weird thing is, surely this is a tiny change? Its not like the neck builders give you finish previews and stuff. You just choose a finish from four options in a dropdown. Just put more options in the dropdown and you're done! I can't imagine it being a month's work or something silly like that.

One problem I can foresee is how a neck and body order are processed in house.  If you wanted a neck and body to match, they would have to be done with the same batch at the same time.  To insure that, you're making a comment in the notes box, which is what you were already doing in the first place.

Prolly not worth the programming effort given the extremely low volume of such orders, other than vintage tint on maple if your count that as a "trans" finish.

I'm just wondering how much "programming effort" there really is. It's adding items to a list.

I think the point about body matching stands though.

The silly thing is I had no idea they would do anything other than sating or gloss, clear on vintage tint. I literally thought that was all they would do until I came to the forum. I'd love to see a comprehensive list of all the custom options you can have that aren't mentioned on the builders.

Jumble Jumble said:
I'm just wondering how much "programming effort" there really is. It's adding items to a list.

I think the point about body matching stands though.

The silly thing is I had no idea they would do anything other than sating or gloss, clear on vintage tint. I literally thought that was all they would do until I came to the forum. I'd love to see a comprehensive list of all the custom options you can have that aren't mentioned on the builders.

It says on the website they can do colors:
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/NeckFinish.aspx

We can match transparent colors, solid colors, dyes and bursts only when we spray the body and the neck at the same time.

Yeah, I said on the builders. It's not in any way stupid to assume that what's available in the builders is everything that's available.

:redflag:
Jumble Jumble said:
Yeah, I said on the builders. It's not in any way stupid to assume that what's available in the builders is everything that's available.

If it's an issue of body matching, perhaps that's why it's not in the builder.  Example, if one ordered just a neck or the neck first in the builder, there's no way it would be a 100% match to anything.  So, why put that option in the builder? 

Back