Van Halen's demo

GoDrex

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/playlist/Van+Halen+demo/31291359

a guy posted this over at the SD forum and it's a neat little artifact of their early days. But man it's really not that amazing. They grew a lot in the next couple of years. They really hadn't figured it out yet. Another guy pointed out that the production has a lot to do with it, but I still think they played so much in those couple of years and honed in on their sound and their playing. The difference between this and the first album is amazing.

There's some weird stuff going on here - like the bizarre vocal in PAIN!!

also check out Mean Street in the middle of She's the Woman.

I hear an Aerosmith influence on some of these tracks - glad they lost that.

If you haven't heard this it's something neat to check out if you're a fan. If you're not a fan why would you bother?

yeah these demos, i think its because they recorded it using gene's gear as apposed to eddie using his own stuff do to me a sounded a bit kiss-esq

Plus im not sure how old dave was at the time but he sound young, and the vocal style is a very.... old manish type bluesy/jazzy/big band style of singing which is hard to do with a teenage-voice im sure.

but they got there in the end!

I don't know - I thought Runnin' with the Devil was pretty good for a demo - better than my demos!

Back