Vox AC4C1-BL

AutoBat

New Amp Day!

It's my first real amp.  My Yamaha that came with my first electric (15w solid state 8") finally died after 22 years (and a cat throwing up on it).
So my first tube amp has just arrived!

hu9twwz.jpg

It can chime, it can scream, and best of all it can sound good doing both of those without being dimed (although that's also great).
Gain and Volume maxed can get some great feedback if I'm close to it, but otherwise not earbleedingly loud.  Which is what I was after since I'm not in a band, I never plan to be and it's rarely going to leave the house.

I researched amps in the $200-500 range for nearly a month and at first impression I'm happy with my choice.
The blue & cream is a nice touch too. (Green was an option but only thru Guitar Center).

Good for you! I'm sure you'll have a lotta fun with that!

Speaking of cats and their negative effects on gear...

Back about 100 years ago I had an old Gibson something-or-other amp. Can't remember the model. It was a 50 watt unit with 4 10" speakers. Anyway, I had it apart for some reason with the chassis sitting on the floor overnight. Cat pissed in it. Turned it on the next day, and blew the hell out of the power supply. Had a SS full-wave rectifier rather than a tube to get the DC thing happening, and that's what went and took other stuff out with it.

Wanted to kill that animal. But, that was unacceptable, so I had to be content with just hating her. Then, not long after that, she pissed in one of my dad's workboots. Didn't have to worry about killing her any more  :laughing7:

Congratulations.  I have the Vox AC4TV and I really dig it.  I understand the AC4C1 more closely emulates the functionality of the Top Boost circuit, which will give you more gnarly gain, but even so, sounds like a fun toy to me.  I really dig the power tube overdrive you get out of these little amps without having to endure litigation from your neighbors.

Small amps are getting increasingly popular. As long as they sound good, you can always mic the things and run them through the PA if you need to cover a large venue.

Bagman67 said:
Congratulations.  I have the Vox AC4TV and I really dig it.  I understand the AC4C1 more closely emulates the functionality of the Top Boost circuit, which will give you more gnarly gain, but even so, sounds like a fun toy to me.  I really dig the power tube overdrive you get out of these little amps without having to endure litigation from your neighbors.
AC4C1 has 2 12AX7 and 1 EL84 and separate High, Low and Gain controls and AC4TV has 1 of each tube and the attenuator.
I was considering the AC4TV but mostly it's the cream cover that put me off.

Cagey said:
Good for you! I'm sure you'll have a lotta fun with that!

Speaking of cats and their negative effects on gear...

Back about 100 years ago I had an old Gibson something-or-other amp. Can't remember the model. It was a 50 watt unit with 4 10" speakers. Anyway, I had it apart for some reason with the chassis sitting on the floor overnight. Cat pissed in it. Turned it on the next day, and blew the hell out of the power supply. Had a SS full-wave rectifier rather than a tube to get the DC thing happening, and that's what went and took other stuff out with it.

Wanted to kill that animal. But, that was unacceptable, so I had to be content with just hating her. Then, not long after that, she pissed in one of my dad's workboots. Didn't have to worry about killing her any more  :laughing7:

Tis a shame the cat wasn't actually pissing on the amp when you fired it up...... would've taught it a lesson - if it survived.

Cagey said:
Small amps are getting increasingly popular. As long as they sound good, you can always mic the things and run them through the PA if you need to cover a large venue.

You know, there's quite a few good sounding performers in the under 10W category. Which is good for those times when you have to practice/learn a part and the neighbours don't have to suffer all the mistakes.  :icon_thumright:

Back