Warmoth #2 - Purple Strat NEW PICS WITH NECK!!!

That neck is awesome as well on that body; I'm with tfarny, that pickguard doesn't work. I'd go with cream and match the PU covers/knobs/switch tip to match the bridge hardware, chrome or gold would work.

Too late, already ordered the pickguard.  I didn't want to get one of the cream colors without actually seeing it next to the body, and that one had the pic included with the body and the colors look good.  Black was a definite no because I wanted to set off the binding.  There are four different flat cream colors listed on the site, and I couldn't find a photo of any of them, just computerized color swatches which may or may not look totally different in real life.  The variation in the colors on the pickguard bring out the variation in the wood grain on the masked binding well.  Though, if it arrives and I don't like it I can get a different one, like when I ordered two sets of knobs for my LP.

No way in hell would I put gold on this thing because I can't stand gold (most of the time).  But lest you forget: I can pull off a Liberace guitar because I'm a girl.  :icon_tongue:

Hannaugh, this strat WILL get my vote in a next poll! boy oh boy *hm...girl oh girl?* I dig it!

but: why maple? why not go extravagant with a purpleheart neck? you'll LOVE the tone and feel...

about the pickups: qtuner set!

Oh, Oh. Looks like a contender for my L5s job  :) Nice choice, great color. Aren't grandfathers great. I spoil my grandson too.

Looks awesome!  :eek:

My only diverge is on the angled headstock, you should go straight headstock!
And go for Stainless steel frets!

Timv said:
Oh, Oh. Looks like a contender for my L5s job  :) Nice choice, great color. Aren't grandfathers great. I spoil my grandson too.

Is 25 years old too old to trying find a new grandfather?  :toothy12:

Orpheo said:
Hannaugh, this strat WILL get my vote in a next poll! boy oh boy *hm...girl oh girl?* I dig it!

but: why maple? why not go extravagant with a purpleheart neck? you'll LOVE the tone and feel...

about the pickups: qtuner set!

I decided against purpleheart because the wood color would probably just look gray compared to the paint on the body, and there is a good chance it would clash.  I would love to have a raw neck on this thing, but I just think a lighter color like maple will compliment it more, and again it will bring out the natural binding, which is half of what I love about it. 

I do have plans rolling around in my mind for SG, Tele, and Jaguar builds, and those do include raw necks.  Specifically:  all-wenge SG, mahogany body and pau ferro/ebony neck Tele, and swamp ash body canary neck Jaguar.  But I'm totally getting ahead of myself at this point. 

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
NonsenseTele said:
My only diverge is on the angled headstock, you should go straight headstock!

The photoshop version isn't angled.  The trussrod adjustment would be on the peghead.

Well, the biggest problem is the trussrod cover, if she manage to get one made of flamed maple I'd say it's ok... But TRC doesn't look right in Strat, to my eyes

I couldn't find a flame maple neck with abalone dots in the angled section of the showcase.  That's the closest I could find.  

I'm actually now entertaining the notion of getting a canary neck... still pondering though. 

I don't know.  I guess I just don't like string trees.  I'm not married to the angled headstock or anything.  

PS- I just called Warmoth and they are going to rout the HB for me in the bridge position.  I doubt I will ever use it, but I do like having options. 

I think your idea is a good one.  :icon_thumright:
As you may know I love me a black guitar, but I think the body, the color, the pickguard, the figure on the neck, the inlay material, all of it adds up to a FANCY guitar, which is cool! Black harware might be a cool choice too. Ultra sleek!
Another option would be to have Chrome hardware and black pickup covers and knobs?...maybe? Nah, It'll be better to get the Gilmours, they're 'ivory'.  :icon_biggrin:

You won't be disappointed with the vintage pearl. I got a similar pickuard made recently and it's really nice!

I like the Angled headstock on this one too. It's not exactly a traditional Strat, now is it?  :laughing7: so why get the traditional headstock?
To me, the angled Strat headstock seems more modern somehow.

hannaugh said:
I don't know.  I guess I just don't like string trees.  I'm not married to the angled headstock or anything.  

PS- I just called Warmoth and they are going to rout the HB for me in the bridge position.  I doubt I will ever use it, but I do like having options.  

Fair enough. Even if a strat is not traditional looking the angled neck looks weird to me. But it is more functional I believe, it is one of the things Leo could do better. In my strat though, the tech who assembled it put no string trees and it works fine.

The versality of the strat is in the pickguard. It's good if it's routed from the beginning HSH or HHH and then with a new pickguard you have a new guitar. You can have many combinations with just a new pickguard and a few pots & pickups.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Leo was out to do things cheaper 1st, better 4th or 5th.  A straight peghead meant less wood, less glue, less clamps, less time, less labor, less money.

That's why I never owned Fender guitars...

I've never owned a Fender guitar because they are more expensive for a nice guitar. I built my Warmoth to save money. #2 is so I can get something Fender wouldn't make without the custom shop.

Leo got out there in the mid 60s, so I've never owned one of those Fenders.  When he went on to MM and G&L, it seems he got most of that out of his system.  The '76 Music Man Stingray GUITAR had active pickups!  Even the Strat splurged a little by Tele standards.  The headstock was bigger, he could no longer get 2 necks out of one blank.  It had body contours where the Tele didn't.  All that said, the Tele is just about perfection. 

I'm playing with possiblities now.  Remember, I had no idea I was building this until last night.  Months of planning went into my LP, so I'm going to need to put some thought into it.  I kind of want to strike when the iron is hot (read: while the sale is still on) and get a showcase neck for it, but there aren't any that were what I was originally thinking. 

Here are some mockups I made of other ideas:

4115713790_09fc03c1ac_b.jpg

4114989339_8dcf582f94_b.jpg

I don't know about the black pickguard.  I think it might be too dark, but it's hard to tell without seeing the body in person and without seeing it with all the hardware.  It might be okay if all the hardware was chrome and the pickups had chrome covers.

The only raw neck they had in the Strat conversion area was IR and ebony.  It might be too warm sounding with the mahogany.  Couldn't find any canary, and I called and asked about it and they said they were out of stock for custom orders  :sad:

Back