Warmoth pitched headstock neck maxed out on trussrod adjustment to straighten.

Unwound G

I tried turning the lug to the right and it will not budge.  The neck is relatively new and has multiple washers behind the trussrod lug which means the factory had already tried straightening it ?  I have a feeling the wood is inherently bowed and applying pressure on the metal rod does very little.  I remember Cagey once described a solution.  Any ideas ?

I do not know the exact procedure, but on mine he pre-tensioned it with a brace and heated it up.

You are the third person in the last month or so to post about Bowed neck/trussrod issues. Personally, I’d call Warmoth before attempting your own fix. As far as I know the other two folks were able to return/replace their necks without issue.

Unwound G said:
I tried turning the lug to the right and it will not budge... I have a feeling the wood is inherently bowed and applying pressure on the metal rod does very little...

I'm confused.
Turning the lug to the right will only tighten it and make it more bowed.
If you turn to the left you will get relief.

Or am I missing something?

More information and perhaps a picture is needed. The neck's history, which direction is it bowed, are you the original owner or could someone else have done something to it that you don't know about?

A good neck but maxed out to further reduce the relief.  Still playable but with no more leeway to adjust it perfectly straight. Also shipping it back to Warmoth is a hassle for me geographically. I am currently trying out this perhaps to condition the wood.  Looks like it's working....

Attachments

• IMG_20201202_154621.jpg
    IMG_20201202_154621.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 157
If the truss-rod doesn't function to reduce the neck relief, I'd have to say its either faulty or broken. 

I have seen You Tube repairers loosen off any tension from the truss rod & then place the neck into a press using weights and/or vice. Like you have shown.
Get it as flat as you can then add any trussrod tension. Gotta be patient, this won't be an overnight fix. 

I had a fender neck like that.  Loosened it.  Put it between two boxes with weights in the middle.  Let it sit for a month.  Solved problem.

r u sure you're not just trying hard enuff to turn the rod? Your not going break it just give it a tug, no need to baby it. Theyre not all gonna turn like the loose knob on the front door my granny's dilapidated doublewide.

The washers on the nut kinda tell me that they were running out of thread on the rod.  At least that's what a rod like that would tell me if it walked into the shop.

Are you sure that you still have thread on the rod when you're tightening?  If you ran out of threads, all the tightening in the world would do nothing but ... make it the nut tighter.

Having worked with wood for a long time, I always believe that it changes to environment. The wood fibers are trainable even if they inherently go a certain way even after dried and treated. The neck that I received was inherently bent and maximum trussrod adjustment will not bring it to be completely straight. The factory must have known this and hence stacked up the washers in hope to create more thread turns. My attempt now is to "retrain" the neck wood to "environmentally" straighten over time.  Seems to be working but I will give it a few more weeks to condition.

Unwound G said:
Having worked with wood for a long time, I always believe that it changes to environment. The wood fibers are trainable even if they inherently go a certain way even after dried and treated. The neck that I received was inherently bent and maximum trussrod adjustment will not bring it to be completely straight. The factory must have known this and hence stacked up the washers in hope to create more thread turns. My attempt now is to "retrain" the neck wood to "environmentally" straighten over time.  Seems to be working but I will give it a few more weeks to condition.

In my experience wood has a memory. That memory can be modified, sometimes for the long term, sometimes just temporarily. I think your doing the best you can do right now, in time it will either change or it won't. You never fully know for sure till you try. That method, sometimes augmented with heat, is more or less the most popular traditional method. Good luck on it. Patience is the key, the only thing that wood does quickly is break..... :eek:.. :headbang:

Back