White Grain Fill

rgand

Epic Member
What do you guys use for a white grain filler to accent the grain? I'm looking at accenting the mahogany on my current build that way. Probably not black/white dog hair but maybe over a color? I want to have color but still bring out the grain.

I'm thinking of spraying a color (exact color undecided as of yet) then sealing the color with a wash of clear and filling the grain with the white. Clear coats after that. Thanks for any suggestions on this.

Dry-wall mud is cheap and readily available. No kidding.

Otherwise, neutral grain fill like Behlen Pore-O-Pac or Timbermate, possibly with some titanium white pigment if you want it to really pop.

Thanks for the input.

Bagman67 said:
Dry-wall mud is cheap and readily available. No kidding.

Otherwise, neutral grain fill like Behlen Pore-O-Pac or Timbermate, possibly with some titanium white pigment if you want it to really pop.
Two good ways to approach this. I'll see what the neutral grain fill with pigment does.

TBurst Std said:
Actually the process you put forth is dog hair
This is true. I just don't know that I want to do it with black.

I may not do the white grain fill at all but I want to experiment with it to see what I effects can get. The grain in this particular piece of wood is pretty spectacular. Whatever I do should show that off.

Use pigment(s) to color a neutral/clear filler rather than a dye. Get any color you want that way.

That makes sense, Kevin. pigment would be opaque and certainly show better. Thanks.

I used white pickling gel stain for the grain fill on this "reiteration" of my hybrid I've been torturing and learning on.......

Added in EDIT: The back side looks better, I think, but I don't have a pic of it on my laptop here. Also, Timbermate "Natural" is a good white grain filler I personally like to use.

Attachments

• 20180907_155647.jpg
    20180907_155647.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 341
Thanks, Mr. N. That one does bring out the grain nicely. I'll definitely give the grain fill a test.

Back