1991 American Standard Strat needs a new neck

ravenhaller

1991 Fender American Standard Stratocaster.  I've owned this since new.  The neck has already been refretted twice, needs doing again - I think it's time to put this neck into retirement.

A few questions:
- will a Warmoth showroom strat neck be a drop in replacement for a 1991 American Standard? 
- am I right thinking a vintage modern neck will be most similar to the neck I want to replace? Skunk stripe is an absolute must.
- what tuner hole type do I need to choose (i'll be using the American Standard tuners off the 'retired' neck)?
- I actually really prefer the Jazzmaster headstock over all strat variants.  Will a Jazzmaster neck drop into a 1991 Am Std strat heel without issue?

Thanks.

You are Warmoth's target demographic. You have an honest-to-god Fender that needs a replacement part. That's what they do best.

ravenhaller said:
- will a Warmoth showroom strat neck be a drop in replacement for a 1991 American Standard? 

Absolutely.

ravenhaller said:
- am I right thinking a vintage modern neck will be most similar to the neck I want to replace? Skunk stripe is an absolute must.

Yes. I would point out that the modern construction is identical in appearance but without the skunk stripe, and has the dual-acting truss rod. Those are some super-stable necks. Basically, you set your truss rod and forget about it. Neck won't move even throiugh extreme temperature/humidity changes.

ravenhaller said:
- what tuner hole type do I need to choose (i'll be using the American Standard tuners off the 'retired' neck)?

I had an AmStd of around that vintage, and it seems to me it had Sperzel tuners on it. The problem is Fender isn't exactly the model of consistency, so if you can't positively identify what tuners are installed, I'd pull one and measure its shaft housing diameter.

ravenhaller said:
- I actually really prefer the Jazzmaster headstock over all strat variants.  Will a Jazzmaster neck drop into a 1991 Am Std strat heel without issue?

Sure. Most Warmoth necks have a Strat heel. The two things you have to be concerned about are scale length (24.75" or 25.5") and heel style (Strat vs. Tele).

Now's your big chance to get stainless steel frets. Trust me, they're the only way to fly. They won't change your sound at all, no matter what you've heard. But, they will play like butter and last like they're made of Adamantium. Highly recommended.

This is also a great time to upgrade to a raw neck. If you don't want to affect the guitar's sound at all, you can still go to a roasted Maple neck. The feel is sublime, and roasted Maple doesn't warp/twist on you like an untreated/unfinished Maple neck will. It is slightly darker than regular Maple, though, so if vintage appearance is important to you, maybe this isn't a choice.

Cagey said:
ravenhaller said:

Yes. I would point out that the modern construction is identical in appearance but without the skunk stripe, and has the dual-acting truss rod. Those are some super-stable necks. Basically, you set your truss rod and forget about it. Neck won't move even throiugh extreme temperature/humidity changes.

Now's your big chance to get stainless steel frets. Trust me, they're the only way to fly. They won't change your sound at all, no matter what you've heard. But, they will play like butter and last like they're made of Adamantium. Highly recommended.

This is also a great time to upgrade to a raw neck. If you don't want to affect the guitar's sound at all, you can still go to a roasted Maple neck. The feel is sublime, and roasted Maple doesn't warp/twist on you like an untreated/unfinished Maple neck will. It is slightly darker than regular Maple, though, so if vintage appearance is important to you, maybe this isn't a choice.

A few points. First of all, Cagey is on point as usual. Dude knows his stuff. A strat-heeled Jazzmaster neck will drop in just fine. You will need to measure the tuner to be sure you pick the right size, but the measurements are listed in the builder as well as the Help section.

Secondly, while I do love the skunk stripe, I don't miss doing seasonal or yearly adjustments to my guitar. Most of the time your audience won't even see the skunk stripe, unless you do a Clapton and solo with your back turned toward them. Both of my guitars have the Modern construction, as does the third I'm working on now. No skunk stripe but let me put it this way. I was on guitar hiatus for almost 5 years. No tuning, no change of strings, no nothing. Both Modern necks were fully playable with very minor adjustments.

Third, I agree you should go for stainless steel frets. I've never noticed a change in tone, but there is a definitely effect on the feel. Things are more buttery than Paula Deen. As for a raw neck, they're priceless. I like a nice gloss neck, I really do. They're gorgeous. They're pretty, they're shiny, and if they're nitro they wear away and make it look old as sin. But a raw neck.. now that's a treasure. Think Indiana Jones, the part with the Holy Grail. Ain't no poly/nitro on that baby, and it melted the guys face.

Suffice to say, give a raw neck a thought. If you must have a skunk stripe, so be it. Go for what pleases you. I cannot recommend Stainless Steel frets enough, though. Polish those babies up and they're slicker than an oil spill.  :eek:ccasion14: If you order something I hope to see the finished results. Best of luck, my friend. Take care!

Thanks for the response.  Currently has an all maple neck, but i'm probably going to swap to a rosewood fretboard.

Stainless steel frets?  Absolutely.  As on all my guitars.  Roasted maple?  Maybe.  Would save me forking out for vintage tint I guess.  I have a p-bass with a Warmoth roasted maple neck - I could take it or leave it to tell you the truth (the roasted element, that is).

And here's the tuner type:

1922.jpg

0056261.jpg

I have a drill press and ultimately can resolve any hole size problems, but (for tuners especially) i'd prefer the accuracy of CNC if it's an option.

Tipperman said:
If you order something I hope to see the finished results.

How about a pic of my other Warmoths... and a Fender?  The old white strat is the one in question.

IMG_3059_zpsbkon5677.jpg

The white superstrat has a Jazzmaster neck - I just wasn't sure how Am Std specs may have drifted over the last 25 years, for me to screw one on ol' faithful.  I'd rather have a good fit confirmed than take a gamble.

Those are gorgeous, Ravenhaller. I have a roasted maple neck coming in the mail for my VIP build (See the work in progress section, shameless plug) I'm not sure how they feel, but apparently it's like playing on slick glass. Except wood. So I guess technically not glass. I had a Wenge neck on an old Warmoth LP, thing was a dream. If you aren't 100% married to the traditional look, it might be worthwhile to pick the brains of the people on this forum.

That being said, there's a lot to say about a Fender Strat neck with Maple/Indian Rosewood and a good finish. Here's mine with the Satin Nitro finish. I'm quite happy with it! I also have a jag with a nitro finish in clear, so it'll yellow as it ages. And check. And wear away. We all have our things, right?  :laughing7: I've had this strat since about 2010 I think. It's seen its fair share of action, although I no longer gig so it's spared the horrors of spilled beer and extreme sweating. Maybe the pic will help you decide on the Rosewood board/vintage tint.

Kp6Fklj.jpg

Cagey said:
ravenhaller said:
And here's the tuner type:

1922.jpg

Those are Schaller Original F-Series Standard tuners, private labelled for Fender. The shaft housing diameter is 10mm.

Note that Warmoth will drill for those shafts so you get a nice, tight fit, but you'll still have to drill for the locator pins.

Was just jumping in here to say this. Not sure what Fender's obsession with locater pins is, but they use them on their tuners and string trees. Drives me nuts.

The best way to do it is insert the tuners into the tuner holes, make sure they're aligned correctly, and then give 'em a good solid push (or maybe insert the bushings/nuts and tighten them a bit) so that the locater pins leave two dimples in the back of the neck, revealing their precise placement. Then it's an easy matter to drill for them.

Edit: I should probably include the disclaimer that the preceding paragraph is not official Warmoth product support. You should consider it as nothing more than internet-wisdom from some guitar-dude on a forum. If you do try the technique I described, and over-tighten the tuners before the pilot-holes are drilled until something ends up breaking, don't expect Warmoth to honor a warranty claim based on my advice here.

That said, I've done it before with no problems.

Tipperman said:
Think Indiana Jones, the part with the Holy Grail. Ain't no poly/nitro on that baby, and it melted the guys face.

As a matter of principle, I always upvote, quote, thumb-up, and like references to the face-melting scene.  Everything that's been said here is true.

Oh....and I can 100% confirm that our Jazzmaster replacement necks use the exact same heel specs as our Strat replacement necks. If one fits, the other will.

However, I must call into question your mamby-pamby unwillingness to fully commit. What are you so afraid of? CBS headstock, for the win....always and forever. Go big, or go home.  :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar:

Not everyone wants a hydrocephalic head on their neck that could do double duty as a pizza peel  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
Not everyone wants a hydrocephalic head on their neck that could do double duty as a pizza peel  :laughing7:

You just opened up a whole new world of possibilities.

Yup. Guitar player can cook the pizzas, drummer does his regular delivery job, and the bass player can eat them. The singer will, of course, provide the usual amount of bitching.

Cagey said:
Yup. Guitar player can cook the pizzas, drummer does his regular delivery job, and the bass player can eat them. The singer will, of course, provide the usual amount of bitching.

Nailed it.

Back