51P Next project arrived

Tweed

I am VERY excited to start work on this new baby angel.
https://instagram.com/p/BStuQAZDuAd/

Attachments

• IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
applied Wipe On Poly to the neck. My favorite zen part of the whole process. Soldering is most fun, but much less zen. And obviously planning the entire job and waiting on the mail are the most stressful!

I have to ask what kind of tape everyone uses to keep the fretboard clean. This plain beige masking tape left some garbage residue.

This vintage is the coloring influence but not the aging part. That's beyond my reach.

Attachments

• IMG_6329 2.JPG
    IMG_6329 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
So I have a can of white stain but I want to bring the grain out more. Would there be any ill effects of using a black grain filler first? Haven't ever filled grain before.

I use a lotta blue painter's masking tape. It has a lower-tack adhesive than standard masking tape to it's less likely to harm finishes or leave residue. That said, no matter what tape you use it's going to leave residue. How much it leaves is usually proportional to it's starting point and how long it stays in place. The blue stuff has a very low starting point, so it would seem to come off clean, but even that will leave noticeable traces if you leave it on for days on end. On the plus side, it's usually not detrimental and is easily cleaned up with naphtha.

There are no negative effects from using grain filler, tinted or otherwise.

Also I have a W mustang body for a future build. Do I need to have two sets of the mixed neck screws (meant for contoured heel) to get four of the shorter screws, not to poke thru the fretboard?

I'm sure Cagey can answer that, but I'm guessing that you would need four shorter screws since the body is thinner than the other Warmoth bodies.

They're #8 phillips oval head wood screws, but I don't know length for Mustangs right off hand. If you go to a hardware or home improvement center that sells individual screws, they're super-cheap because they're common as dirt. Buy an assortment. If you bought the following, you'd probably still get change from a $2 bill:

2) 1 1/4"
2) 1 1/2"
2) 1 3/4"

If you have a contoured heel, the first 4 would cover a thin body, and the last 4 a thicker one (like a Strat). Put the remaining two in the junk drawer and call it a love story. If no contoured heel but thin body, buy 4 each of the first two sizes - one or the other will work. Place the neck in the pocket and hold a screw against the side to check depth. For a standard Strat/Tele heel, 4 of the longest ones are correct.

People. Minwax' Marshmallow stain is a surprisingly close approximation to Fender's transparent blonde! The camera+lighting are adding some goldish tones to the color; it is actually much paler than shown.

Attachments

• IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
I want to use the vintage thumbrest. Would you people recommend drilling thru pickguard and body simultaneous? Drill thru pickguard from bottom?

If you're happy with the pickguard placement and it's screwed in so it won't move, then yeah. Drill it in place. Do one hole and run the screw in through the thumbrest so it won't move, then position it at an angle you're comfy with and drill the other.

Love that guitar! For me the pickguard is what really makes the look. For tape, go to the depot and get FrogTape...it's green and about 11 bucks a roll, worth every penny.

Back