'59 vs standard Thin

dmraco

Master Member
I know the difference in dimensions but how does a '59 round back compare to the standard thin in feel?  Any comments would be appreciated 

IMHO standard thin feels like a toothpick.  '59 feels more like a broomstick :)
Just for reference, the boatneck feels more like an oar, and my Precision LP Jr neck feels like a freaking baseball bat. 

maybe those can be the new Warmoth terms
toothpick
Broomstick
Oar
Bat

:doh:

I would describe the 59 as a deeper "C" cut where as the standard thin is a bit of a flatter feel in the centerline like a "D", but retaining the wider feeling shoulders of a 59. 

The 59 fills your hand just a bit more in the deepest dimensional area, not like a boatneck, but more nonetheless.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I would describe the 59 as a deeper "C" cut where as the standard thin is a bit of a flatter feel in the centerline like a "D", but retaining the wider feeling shoulders of a 59. 

The 59 fills your hand just a bit more in the deepest dimensional area, not like a boatneck, but more nonetheless.

I would say this about nails it.

One thing many people don't factor is how inextricably linked nut width is to back profile, when it come to how a neck feels and plays. The 59 is too big and round for my tastes, especially in the shoulders, unless the nut width is 1-5/8".

double A said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

One thing many people don't factor is how inextricably linked nut width is to back profile, when it come to how a neck feels and plays. The 59 is too big and round for my tastes, especially in the shoulders, unless the nut width is 1-5/8".

Interestingly, my twelecaster 12 string has a '59 at 1 3/4" and may be my favorite neck ever, ever, ever.  :)

drewfx said:
double A said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

Interestingly, my twelecaster 12 string has a '59 at 1 3/4" and may be my favorite neck ever, ever, ever.  :)

And that's the beauty of the whole thing, ain't it?  :icon_thumright: 

I have a 59 profile with a 1 5/8" and for me its a little chunky. I think at some point I may shave it down a bit.

But with neck profiles, I think preference is very individual.

DMRACO said:
Is a similar to a PRS shape?  Most of my Gibsons have a 60s style neck

Think of a PRS "Wide-Thin" neck as a 59 with a 1 11/16 nut width, with a tad of the centerline & center side of the shoulders shaved down a bit, not quite down to a Warmoth Standard Thin, but not a full 59 either.

'59 Roundback is my favourite profile (out of the 2 guitar necks I own). I have it with a 1 11/16th nut width.
It's definitely beefier than a stock Fender profile, but not outlandishly large.

I've SRV profile on my VIP. It's also nice, but I'll almost certainly get a '59 on future orders.

AutoBat said:
'59 Roundback is my favourite profile (out of the 2 guitar necks I own). I have it with a 1 11/16th nut width.
It's definitely beefier than a stock Fender profile, but not outlandishly large.

I've SRV profile on my VIP. It's also nice, but I'll almost certainly get a '59 on future orders.

Fender's Ritchie Kotzen sig has a nice beefy neck, very similar to a 59, but a tad deeper.  I think the Kotzen is more like the Fatback than the '59, but it's still just a touch in between the '59 & the Fatback.
Being a wizard user for 25+ years, I still found the Kotzen to be quite comfy.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

Tony captures it perfectly. I started with a Standard Thin and found myself wanting a bit more neck filling out my hand. Sort of at the other end of the spectrum, I now have both a boatneck and fatback and find the C shape of the fatback the most comfortable. So in your situation I think the relative C shape of the 59 with some further depth compared to a Standard Thin would be very nice. I found the Standard Thin sort of flat and shallow feeling, but obviously for many people it makes them happy. Very personal fit sort of thing.

I find the Standard Thin's shoulders to be a bit too bulky, but the contour of the 59, while deeper, gives my fingers better access to the skinny strings for solo work.  Seems counterintuitive, right? 

On another note, of all Warmoth contours, I love the Wizard the most for lead and rhythm work.  If you decide on a Wizard and a rounder fret board radius, you might experience some premature hand fatigue.  I've found that the flatter radius options work better with thinner necks.  Looks like Ibanez et all came to the same conclusion long before I ever did. I had a Warmoth Wizard with a 12" radius fret board that was a real hand cramper.  My current Ibanez 540SLTD has a Ibby Wizard neck with a 16.9" radius and it's magnificent for Blues, Jazz, Metal...you name it.  No hand cramping or fatigue at all.  Boggles the mind.

Back