Balance of the Velocity Body

Mincer

Considering a Velocity body, as I am intrigued by the smaller body type (I am not very tall myself). I am wondering how heavy the smaller body has to be to balance out either a 25.5" or 24.75" neck. Obviously, this depends on the neck construction and particular piece of wood. But I don't want to end up with something that is neck heavy in any way.
If you've built a Velocity, what scale neck did you use? Is there a balance between the body and neck?

Mine has a trem so that acts as a good counterweight with a roasted Maple/Rosewood mounted.  Having said that, the Velocity is very well balanced on it's own. The upper horn extends quite far out and the lower bout of the body is quite wide. Even if you put a string-thru hardtail bridge, the balance will maintain with a Maple neck.  However, solid Rosewood necks may tilt the balance slightly mounted with heavy tuners.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201216_080841.jpg
    Screenshot_20201216_080841.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 210
Unwound G said:
Mine has a trem so that acts as a good counterweight with a roasted Maple/Rosewood mounted.  Having said that, the Velocity is very well balanced on it's own. The upper horn extends quite far out and the lower bout of the body is quite wide. Even if you put a string-thru hardtail bridge, the balance will maintain with a Maple neck.  However, solid Rosewood necks may tilt the balance slightly mounted with heavy tuners.

Good to know! Mine would have a trem, and most likely a roasted maple neck/rosewood board. Tuners would be Hipshot open locking, which aren't as heavy as closed locking Schallers.
BTW, cool guitar, with very awesome pickups!

I think I figured out the Velocity body just now. I have to sand all the stain+poly off my Tele body. And the upper bout is the one radius that's way way smaller than every other concave curves of the body. I'm not sure exactly but I think you could probably get away with a single medium size sanding drum that will last a bit longer than the little 1/2" needed for the Tele. 

Unwound G said:

Very cool guitar.  I have an all mahogany Velocity body scheduled to arrive Friday, to be mated with a 24.75" tiltback Strat roasted maple / ebony conversion neck.  Your pic is not helping me with my "waiting like a kid the night before Christmas for Santa to arrive" factor.

Love to hear how these projects are coming out! BTW, anyone know what the edge radius of a Velocity body is? I'd love to be able to use an Electrosocket.

Mincer said:
Love to hear how these projects are coming out! BTW, anyone know what the edge radius of a Velocity body is? I'd love to be able to use an Electrosocket.

I think the edge radius is 1/4". No issues with an Electrosocket's 7/8" jack hole. If you have binding, a small outer circumference of the socket cap may just encroach but not invasive.

I don't understand the benefit of the electrosocket.  I had one on a tele and it didn't fit better than the other sockets i used.

I was much happier with the fit of Warmoth's Football jack on a hybrid-strat body.  Once its screwed down, it precisely matches the outline of the Strat body.

JohnnyHardtail said:
I don't understand the benefit of the electrosocket.  I had one on a tele and it didn't fit better than the other sockets i used.

I was much happier with the fit of Warmoth's Football jack on a hybrid-strat body.  Once its screwed down, it precisely matches the outline of the Strat body.

I think some folks might like the way the cone shape funnels the cord into the jack, and others might like the "vintage-correctness" of it.  But yeah, I do have one on one of my guitars, and it's fine, but nothing special, so I guess I don't get it either!

JohnnyHardtail said:

Most of the ones I've put on have been requested for the appearance. Some folks just like the look of it......  :headbang:

I like the look, but my xxx Tele body leaves the lip sticking proud like ferrules do and I don't like that. (My ferrules are now flush, thanks to having to sand back down to wood. That won't really work on the OUTPUT jack.

Maybe the Electrosocket isn't a great idea. Perhaps I will stick with the square plate.

To be it's just a rock solid jack mount, but that's about it.
I use the square plate on some guitars, and the football jack on others.

Back