checking

Tweed

I'd like to try that method of artificial aging a finish where you leave the body outside on a hot day then stick in the freezer, repeat. The only finishes I've used so far are tung oil and wipe on poly. Will either of these develop the checking I want?

I have never done it with either of those finishes but I don't think there is enough surface tension with to get the cracking you are after. That said it won't hurt to give it a try and see what happens. Let us know how it goes.

I doubt poly will check.  I have seen people use a razor blade to simulate checking.

A local music store owner had a body screwed to his fence for 6 winters, then pulled it in & assembled it.
One of the coolest relic jobs I've ever seen on a strat.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
A local music store owner had a body screwed to his fence for 6 winters, then pulled it in & assembled it.

"Relic au naturel"  :icon_biggrin:

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

6 years of hard playing could do it to!!! :headbang4: :headbanging: :party07:

But seriously...I also used rocks to relic a guitar.  I dropped the body down on the rocks trying to land it on front and back.  I then slid it along the rocks too.  Decent job.. 
Its amazing what some well placed sand paper will do.

this one is nitro but not checked

the ultimate relic

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

That is one patient guy.  :laughing7: I couldn't do it.

I have a body here that has ended up with a checked finish that I'm going to refinish because of that. The finish is only about 3 years old, and I didn't have to go through any freeze/thaw/heat cycles. Just time. I don't know, but I suspect you can't get a checked finish fast. Things have to dry to the point where it can crack, rather than stretch or contract.

I'm just guessing, but I think the reason I got the checking on this body was because I put a lacquer finish on that was too thick, then followed up a couple weeks later with several normal thin layers. That wasn't a plan, it was just how things worked out. The thick layer was brushed on with Deft brushable lacquer, while the thin layers were probably Behlen's instrument lacquer, which were sprayed on. So, the thick stuff almost certainly wasn't completely dry and probably wouldn't be for a few more months, while the thin stuff dried faster and hardened up. When the two finishes were moving at different rates, cracks formed. Maybe.

Yes. I had it out not too long ago to scavenge the neck off it, and noticed the finish was all spiderwebbed. Pissed me off, as we're pretty much out of the painting season here so I'll have to wait until next year to do anything about it.

Back