Double Neck Bass and Six

That really looks nice.  As to the bevel, scraping with a blade of some sort will end up giving you a better result.

Pelagaard said:
That really looks nice.  As to the bevel, scraping with a blade of some sort will end up giving you a better result.

Forgot about that. Used to do that all time on model cars and planes many moons ago.

Got the necks polished and the cavities shielded. Made one mistake and didn't consider the length of the Hipshot bridge I planned to use. It hangs off !#!$. Considered moving it forward but I'll save it for another bass. I have a Babicz on the way that should fit nicely. It's shorter like a stock Fender bridge.

Attachments

• necksshielding.jpg
    necksshielding.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • hipshot.jpg
    hipshot.jpg
    836.2 KB · Views: 21
Shame about the bridge overhang. But hey. it's hard to go wrong with a Babicz. I'm sure it'll stll look great!  :headbang:

BigSteve22 said:
Shame about the bridge overhang. But hey. it's hard to go wrong with a Babicz. I'm sure it'll stll look great!  :headbang:

Looks pretty cool! Here's the progress today.

Attachments

• 20181103_172119-1746x2328.jpg
    20181103_172119-1746x2328.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
Rgand said:
Lookin' good with that Babicz on it.

I'm looking forward to hear what the bass sounds like with the Babicz. A huge motivator for this build is that I used to own another double neck back in the day.  :eek:ccasion14:

Attachments

• Paul_DoubleNeck_1983.jpg
    Paul_DoubleNeck_1983.jpg
    859.7 KB · Views: 22
Figuring out the strap button geometry is the last invasive thing to do. The necks are sweet. The slim profile on the PJ bass neck is very comfortable (it rocks!) Warmoth should make a neckthrough offering for bass bodies. 

Attachments

• 1121182216b~2.jpg
    1121182216b~2.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 26
The harmonics are effortlessly dead on. An angled pocket for the guitar neck would be perfection. :icon_thumright:

Looks cool.

I did not notice any selector switches so are both necks and all pickups on at the same time?

Thanks! The wiring setup is volume, tone, blend. The volume pot is a CTS push/pull  DPDT that selects the necks. The knobs are temporary. I'm having issues finding matching ones that I like because the volume and tone are fine spline CTS and the blend is coarse spline Bourns.

4Stringenator said:
... The knobs are temporary. I'm having issues finding matching ones that I like because the volume and tone are fine spline CTS and the blend is coarse spline Bourns.

For just that reason I recommend Knobeez knobs. I bought myself a handful and use them on several of my guitars. They come in different colors, they have an excellent grip (important in my book) and - relevant in this case - they fit any pots. Solid shaft, fine or coarse spline. You just press them on.

Group-Knobeez.jpg

Knobeez also makes a Jazz style knob in black or white if you don't like the other style.
s-l500.jpg

I may try these one day.

Rgand said:
I may try these one day.

Let me know if you decide to order some, Robert. Maybe I could add some more to that order and we could get a lower shipping cost.
(And then maybe you could help me getting mine to Sweden without having to resort to their shipping rate ($14.95!) :icon_jokercolor:

Logrinn said:
Rgand said:
I may try these one day.

Let me know if you decide to order some, Robert. Maybe I could add some more to that order and we could get a lower shipping cost.
(And then maybe you could help me getting mine to Sweden without having to resort to their shipping rate ($14.95!) :icon_jokercolor:
I found those on ebay 3 for $14.97 and free shipping.

In the listing details it says "Shipping to: Americas, Europe, Asia, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand". Don't know if that includes you, though. PM me if it doesn't.

Logrinn said:
4Stringenator said:
... The knobs are temporary. I'm having issues finding matching ones that I like because the volume and tone are fine spline CTS and the blend is coarse spline Bourns.

For just that reason I recommend Knobeez knobs. I bought myself a handful and use them on several of my guitars. They come in different colors, they have an excellent grip (important in my book) and - relevant in this case - they fit any pots. Solid shaft, fine or coarse spline. You just press them on.

Group-Knobeez.jpg

That's a cool.find. Thanks for the info!

Hi everyone, the holidays and installing wood floors have kept me away from finishing my build. Found these red numbered All Parts speed knobs on eBay. They seem to work fine with the pickguard. I just need to lower the pots into the cavity a little more. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 0102192047.jpg
    0102192047.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 0102192052.jpg
    0102192052.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 36
Back