fanned fret 7 string tremolo?

Orpheo

Allright guys, I want to know if any of you knows of a tremolo that can handle being put on a 7 string fanned fret design.

Jack Michaelson said:
Would any Bigsby-type trems work with a 7-string tune-o-matic?

Oooh - good point!  There are 7 string TOMs out there, which could be angled at least a little (string break angle might be weird, though), but I don't think anyone makes a 7 string Bigsby.  If you're really adventurous and/or engineer-ingly inclined, you could get a 7 string TOM and try to make a Bigsby clone yourself.

You could fashion a 7 string trapeze bridge, though, for extra jazzy street cred.  :icon_jokercolor: 

Hinge for a neck joint? You're already in 3 sigma land with a 7 string. Fanned frets takes you to 4 sigma (and thats a huge jump). I'm afraid you're in the 'take what you can get or have it made' territory. You CAN do fanned frets with a straight bridge, but it doesn't leave much room for fanning. I don't think a fulcrum trem is really possible (where the bridge itself pivots - it's gonna have to pass over rollers some place).

Dave "Fuze" Fiuczynski has a number of doublenecks, with the top neck being a short-scale (19") fretless and the bottom being a 7-string. And what he uses for that is a six-string bridge, with the very lowest string fixed. So the whammy works correctly. In my opine (agreed to by multitude-dudes) there really hasn't yet been a seven-string whammy - Floyd, Hipshot, Ibanez, you name it - that has been correctly modded to work as well as a six-string. It has to do with geometry, the size of the springs and their cavity, whatever - Which is why I think Fiuczynski's approach is valid.

And the one thing that would work in that way, to do what you want, is the Stetsbar. It pulls the strings straight back over a tunematic, in direct opposition to the springs, not bent over into a cavity in back. The whole thing lives on the top of the guitar. It's normally mounted on the posts of both the bridge & tailpiece on a standard tunematic-type guitar. You'd have to separate it from the tunematic, and mount it far enough back to allow the fanning to occur at the bridge.

They seem very open to suggestions and interested in working with people - if it was me, I'd be looking at putting it on something like a fanned Agile, affecting only six strings. But I'd contact them right away. Being the internet, you can of course find a million people to say it's ugly, it's wrong, it's not classic, the love child of an electric can-opener and a fishing reel*, etc. BLAR BLAR BLAR...

But if you could get it to WORK as a device to aid in playing MUSIC, hey - if the foo shits, ear wit! :hello2:

http://stetsbar.com/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Fiuczynski

*(that actually... umm... I kinda just made that up! Myself! I'm kinda...like, proud of my li'i chilluns :-\ )

Callaham does some custom stuff. It could get pricey, and the string spacing would be crazy tight, but you may be able to get them to make you modified string bars for a bigsby.

http://www.callahamguitars.com/index.html#up_kit_big

Has anyone ever seen a monorail bridge on a guitar? If they make them, you can have as many strings and as much of a fan as you like. And perhaps still use a Bibsby type trem.

Back