"Faraday Cage"

Interesting.

I could not help noticing from the article:-

"In France, entrepreneurs are peddling radio wave-proof underpants. "

One wonders how that gets marketed and what the apparent benefits may be. 

Maybe to protect the family jewels from microwaves?

Unfortunately, like the pointless internal sheilding some folks like to put in guitars, there are too many (more than 0) large holes for them to have any effect.

I line all my underwear with copper.  Gotta protect from cosmic rays an all.  That's why I crinkle when I walk.

We've got a Faraday cage at work for emi testing.  It's the size of a small bedroom.

In another life (at BNR), there was a Faraday cage in the basement.  Rumor has it a Sr. scientist walked in and immediately pronounced that it was not working.  Why?  Because the security guard inside was listening to the radio  :)

ghotiphry said:
I line all my underwear with copper.  Gotta protect from cosmic rays an all.  That's why I crinkle when I walk.

I don't crinkle when I walk. It's more of a snap, crackle and pop. It's not my undergarments, though, what with them being magical and all. I think it's because I'm old and decrepit.

Cagey said:
Unfortunately, like the pointless internal sheilding some folks like to put in guitars, there are too many (more than 0) large holes for them to have any effect.
Gotta disagree with shielding being useless. First, all my guitar's control cavities are completely protected the only exposed areas are the front of the pickup coils. On my tele, I have a custom neck pickup in which I shielded the inside of a strat pickup cover. The entire pickup is shielded with the exception of the top of the pole pieces. Any pickup with near complete shielding like a lipstick or standard tele neck or PAF bucker, pickup would pretty much be completely shielded, anyway, if you do a good job on the body.

At the very least it lets me have my cellphone on in my pocket without hearing text messages being sent/received out of the amp. Guitar shielding isn't useless if there's opening(s) it's just less effective. Done before/after on a few guitars I added shielding to, and they're always more quiet with the shielding, which tells me it's not completely useless.  Single coils are pretty darn quiet considering gain and volume levels I use. The only time I really get issues is if I point the front of the pickup directly at a laptop or flourecent light within close proximity, which still causes considerably less buzz than when they were unshielded. I do agree a 100% surround in shielding would be more effective, though.

By the way guitar amps also have many 'holes' in their shielding (more than 0), even with those holes, if you take an amp out of the chassis, so the shielding for the top/bottom of the chassis is disconnected, you notice a huge increase in interference.

I'll typically use layers of aluminum AND copper for shielding in the same guitar FWIW.

I have the opposite problem. Scratch noise from tapewound strings on my bass due to poor grounding. Does anyone sell a copper guitar strap?

Shielding isn't useless at all - if you are realistic about things.  60hz hum won't go away, but EMI pickup from the cell phone in your pocket will if you do a proper job.  Anything radiating into the front of your guitar will make it though.

Back