Found my perfect neck combo after a decade

fdesalvo

What’s up gang??

Long time no post!  Have been busy with the kids and an amplifier restoration biz that’s been crazy!  I felt compelled to take a few moments to share something amazing with you; something many of you have known for ages:

The standard thin profile with 1-5/8” nut width is the feel of vintage fender necks!  I’ve rounded the shoulders of the bass side and cannot believe how comfortable and fast it is - with zero cramping. I’m months into this thing, so I’m well beyond any honeymoon phase. It’s only gotten sweeter and sweeter!  Go for a 1 piece maple option for amazing resonance and woody tone in your hands.

Cheers all!

Busy with kids.  :icon_thumright:

Amp restoration.  :icon_thumright:

Neck work.  :icon_thumright:

Sounds like you've been busy in the right ways, Frank. Good to hear from you.

I concur. I'm glad you found your neck - I know it can be a very particular thing. I'm a std. thin fan myself - that's everything here. Slightly wider at the nut, but what's .062"?

What up, Gents!

Yeah definitely a good busy! I just received a 1961 Fender Super to refurbish. Original owner!  Pics soon.

The Standard Thin 1-5/8" is my favorite profile, but it's definitely not the feel of vintage Fender necks. It is a modern Fender profile.

Congrats. I went through so many necks, wasted tons of money before I found out what suits me best.  At one time I had a fat back 1 and 3/4" nut neck, and with my small to medium size stubby paws, "how about NO'. Actually  right now I have a boatneck, which is same size as the fatback, but it is a smaller nut width( 1 and 11/16, plus the boat profile) , it actually is somewhat too big for my preference, but playable .I do play Standard thin just fine, but ti is too thin for my preference, plus I do beleive a bigger thicker neck has better tone.
Right now I am thinking that the '59 profile suits me best, with a 1.650 nut width, but could easily play a SRV , or even a Clapton.

The standard thin is o.k. I suppose a bit of reshaping could help it, I'm a huge Jackson fan, so I've got better feel with the wizard, which could just be a reshaped ST. As there's not a huge difference, but enough the wizard feels more comfy to me. And as KG, I like the wider nut 1-11/16, although for my Stratocoustic I went with a 1-3/4 nut..

Hey Frank! Good to hear you've been busy, and it looks like in all the right ways too.

I'm with DR6 in that I love the Wizard profile at 1 11/16ths. The Pao Ferro version of that neck is definitely my favorite and I have a hard time going away from it. The only other thing I've liked nearly as much is Roasted Maple. I've sold off two other Maple necks in favor of RM.

Same here. Ebony over Pau Ferro was the ultimate neck of all time, to me. But, the same thing with roasted Maple is my  goto neck now.

I'm putting together a spare parts Strat at the moment and just happened to find a Wizard, Roasted Maple/Rosewood in the showcase. So I grabbed it. The shaft is a little darker than my RM/RM, and I'm planning on painting the headstock face to match the body, so all good there. But just the weight and the smoothness of it, before burnishing, have it looking like it might be a winner.

Back