Freeway switch internals

Sadie-f

I'd wondered how they're setup, didn't find the time to dismantle my 5b5, here's the 3b3-01.

Attachments

• 16375975062880.jpg
    16375975062880.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 129
Sadie-f said:
I'd wondered how they're setup, didn't find the time to dismantle my 5b5, here's the 3b3-01.

Love the Freeway switches. Would love to build a guitar that has optimized pickups for that switch, to get the most usable series options. It's been incredible for recording, to save time changing guitars for drastically different sounds.

you know, looking at that again I wonder how long it would take before those wipers wear through the copper plating.  In the interests of science, maybe take it apart again after a year of use and see how it's fairing...  Just a suggestion.

you know, looking at that again I wonder how long it would take before those wipers wear through the copper plating. In the interests of science, maybe take it apart again after a year of use and see how it's fairing... Just a suggestion.
3 years after install and heavy use, the switch is still looking & working great. I did investigate the contacts when I had the cavity open last week - looks OK, but no photographic proof.

Last edited:
iNTERNALS? No idea. I guess I've been using them for 4 years now exclusively and none of them punked out. However, I've had allegedly premium 3 way toggles, die after 6 months.

iNTERNALS? No idea. I guess I've been using them for 4 years now exclusively and none of them punked out. However, I've had allegedly premium 3 way toggles, die after 6 months.
I've also had some bad 3-way Gibson-style toggles. Plus, they just never feels as reliably "in" a position as Fender-style blade switches.

Yeah, this was a Gibson style toggle.

As to the Freeway toggles, the one in my signature is still going strong for at least two years, and the wiring was changed once, from something PRS style to more conventional, Bridge, Bridge and Neck in Parallel and Neck in bank one, and Bridge, Bridge and Neck in series, and Neck in bank two. It still feels very robust. I'm going to play it tonight.

3 years after install and heavy use, the switch is still looking & working great. I did investigate the contacts when I had the cavity open last week - looks OK, but no photographic proof.
Bruce, maybe at least slowdown a bit! Had no idea you were a heavy user.

Bruce, maybe at least slowdown a bit! Had no idea you were a heavy user.
I only have 1 full Warmoth guitar but I am learning a lot every day from this forum and its members. I apologize to anyone if I am clouding or ruining their experience; luckily, I'm completely harmless.

Back