Goncalo Alves neck just arrived

Davola

Just got the new neck I ordered! So pumped with the look and feel. I understand it’s a bit of a crap shoot looks wise with goncalo but I am very pleased with the look of this one. I will be putting Radioshop pickups and a Wilkinson vs100 on this white strat. Can’t wait to finish it up!

Attachments

• IMG_3761.jpeg
    IMG_3761.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3760.jpeg
    IMG_3760.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 39
That’s lovely. I really like the back of that neck.
Thanks! I’m super happy with all the striping on it (if that’s the appropriate way to describe it). I opted for the fatback neck carve and it feels amazing. Feels similar in the shoulders to my 50s neck LP but rounder in the back. I love it!

I’d simply call it the grain, but you can call it striping if you want to. I’ve heard some people describe goncalo as feeling “velvety”. Is that how you would describe it? It’s one of the few woods I’ve never had my hands on.

I’d simply call it the grain, but you can call it striping if you want to. I’ve heard some people describe goncalo as feeling “velvety”. Is that how you would describe it? It’s one of the few woods I’ve never had my hands on.
Oh yes the grain, thanks! I blanked on that one lol. It’s very smooth and waxy feeling.

No problem. Thanks for the description. I keep thinking I’d probably have an issue with the way goncalo feels. That’s why I went with rosewood, I know I like the feel of it unfinished. If it’s great for you, that’s all that really matters. Enjoy it, it’s a gorgeous piece!!!

Wow I’m jealous of that. I just got a Goncalo neck that isn’t even half as Striped! Good for you!
Thanks! Yeah I kinda wish they had more goncalo necks in the showcase because it is a crap shoot! But the feel of it is amazing as well and I’m sure that’s consistent across all of them.

I have a slow build in process. The finisher I was going to use no longer is accepting work. I was going for Canary (again) for that build, but after seeing that neck GA may get the nod.

The fact is, whatever nuances neck wood has, it’s ability to influence and insipire me has a greater impact on the tone to FOH

I have a slow build in process. The finisher I was going to use no longer is accepting work. I was going for Canary (again) for that build, but after seeing that neck GA may get the nod.

The fact is, whatever nuances neck wood has, it’s ability to influence and insipire me has a greater impact on the tone to FOH
It may also inspire your guitar " b*itch making" too.

Back