Knowing more about tone wood or music theory?

WarmothRules

I don't know how many of you can site read or know all the notes of the neck instantly but my new quest is to learn every thing about music I can. I know way too much about fret wire size, amps, tone woods, scale length, tuners etc...

For your quest:  Musictheory.net is very informative and has a great fretboard trainer.  Music Reading for Guitar: The Complete Method by David Oakes is a good book for learning reading.  I use that along with Guitar Pro/Tux Guitar to check myself (before I wreck myself).  I've found the best way to learn and retain the theory is the same way I studied for college - flash cards for like 15-30 mins a day until it's cemented in your head.  That and actually thinking about it while you are playing/applying the knowledge.  That gets the job done.  Let me know if you want more resources for that type of thing, I know where there's a lot of great music and guitar learning materials, and a lot of it is free online.  I'll PM you with the big list if you want. 

Hey, you can PM me with the big list, I started teaching some new victims this summer and a LOT of these kids have to start netty. I think it's pretty important to wean yourself OFF the computer - reading music, learning music, and playing music seem to me to benefit from certain less-electronicized mental states. But these kids will just go on and on and on "finding" things for me to approve if I don't head 'em off at the pass. The scale and chord "generators" are a killer -

"Hey I found a thing that has all the scales! You just poke this and this, and there's an F# double harmonic minor scale!"

Me, staring at their guitar neck -> "So, where's an F# double harmonic minor scale?"
them, pointing at the computer -> "There! Right there!"

Meems, staring at their fingers -> "So, where's an F# double harmonic minor scale?"
thems, pointing at the computer -> "There! Right THERE!"

Stupid old people... sigh  :sad1:

Well that's just kids using the computer as an excuse to be lazy.  Using the computer to learn is very helpful, you have to just be aware of how you are using it.  None of the stuff I use does my work for me, and it's incredibly stupid to pretend that a computer doing work= you doing work.  You have to understand though Stub, we don't all have music teachers - that is a luxury.  Teachers are expensive.  A book of sheet music by itself is not going to tell you when you're doing things wrong.  A computer has the capacity to do that.

Even with a teacher, having something like that for general reference is very useful.  I remember when I was a kid trying to learn piano and I didn't have anything like that, a teacher would give me a piece of music to learn.  I'd go home and learn it, practice it like that all week only to find out later that I had been reading a couple of parts wrong the whole time.  By that time it was in my head like that though, and it's harder to go back and unlearn something than it is to just learn it right the first time.  Now I usually play something out of the book a few times until I think I am sure I'm reading it right, then I plug it into the software just to make sure I did it right before I move on.  That's all I need, get through a huge sight reading course only to find out I've been reading wrong the whole time. 

The fret trainer I use on musictheory.net (and actually all of the trainers they have there are excellent) has really helped me learn and retain where notes are too.  They don't feed you answers there, and you definitely want to avoid anything that does feed you the answers.  That site is basically just a big music theory e-book of lessons and a collection of trainers.  I did find that getting a theory book helped more than the site though, because I think the book I got was a lot more in depth and explained things better.  But for free, musictheory.net is pretty good.  A great book I've found for learning scales and where things are on the fretboard is Fretboard Workbook by Barret Tagliarino, I highly recommend that.  It breaks it up into digestible chunks very nicely. 

Functional Ear Trainer can be helpful as well, just to get you started, and it can give you some good ideas on building your own exercises using recordings of your guitar.  The main problem I have with it is that it uses crappy midi tones, and I think it's better to use your actual guitar to do those exercises. 

A really good tool I've found for learning songs is a plugin for winamp that slows the song down without changing the pitch so you can practice along at any speed you need to.  Winamp is free, the plugin (It's called "Slow Me Down") is free.  I know you can buy machines that will do that as well, but getting it free on your computer is much easier on your bank account. 

Quizlet.com is what I use to do flash cards.  It's pretty much exactly what I was doing on index cards before, only it's free, not as time consuming to make them, I don't end up with a huge box of index cards sitting around, and I can always go back and find them easily (unlike the many sets of flash cards I've lost over the years after all that work!).

There are a couple other things I use occasionally, but for the most part they just help you decide what to practice and build warmups and fingering exercises quickly (like guitarcardio type stuff).   

You're obviously highly motivated, and that's really important. I get students who are too, but unfortunately an awful lot of advertising, and the magazines that write content which is essentially fully-structured so as to attract advertisers - they're all selling "THE" secret. And what's the secret? There is no secret, and it's all the secret... everything matters. Same as "the" secret tone fix, or "the" secret to anything else, really.  And I buy the idea that different people learn in somewhat different ways, but as you can obviously see living in Los Angeles (and you work on it) reading and writing music is the language, and the fact that Jimi Hendrix and Wes Montgomery weren't conversant in the language means that if they were living in LA today they'd be waiting tables. Go hang around the Baked Potato and talk about preserving your soul and individuality by not learning what everybody else knows.

Of course it depends entirely on what you're trying to do, but that will inevitably shift around over the years - I can see what I did wrong a lot more than what I did right. I could sight-read jazz bass charts at 15 but then I decided I want to play guitar - INSTEAD of bass, rather than "i could do both"; and I decided that since I want to rock, my time would be better spent on learning that by ear specifically - which is true short-term, you get good at what you practice and you don't get good at what you don't. But once your reading slides, it can be really hard to get it back. In fact, without motive, I still haven't really, just enough to use lead sheets to get a handle on stuff.

And being able to play excellent soulful blues-rock guitar is about as rare a skill now as being able to blow your nose or sharpen a pencil these days (though somewhat less useful :laughing11:), and dog knows where the music business is "heading" - you hear that the only young people staying above water are touring, touring, touring, and then somebody like "Say Chance" comes along and it's likely that they're going to own the universe in a few years... nobody knows nuttin', the only thing I know is I love to play. My best student of the last batch got accepted at Berklee and he was trying to teach me how to help him record the submissions to get a full scholarship, but then he got all realistic and realized that since he could get academic scholarships to real colleges about three different ways he's going to be an international finance & government expert instead - he'll be president in a few years, just one of them types. Going into debt to get a "degree" from M.I.T. or Berklee without having a specific goal it will help with is nuts, for sure. It seems like the most successful students there didn't graduate, just went in and grabbed what they wanted and split - John Mayer, Dream Theater etc.

The one thing I hope you also do is play with people, because that's where I see holes in knowledge that can't be addressed without a teacher or just playing every gig, every opportunity, every time, freebies* included. You can't know what the holes are, until you see what the holes are. I can't, nobody can. And getting up in front of strangers to play music you don't know with people you've never met before does such a great job of clearing out the pipes in your adrenal glands.... :icon_biggrin:

*(But don't be an idiot, either. If somebody's paying a caterer at a wedding, but you can play for free "for the exposure!" why isn't the caterer giving away food "for the exposure...?"  :redflag: grrr.... you can expose yourself anytime you want, anywhere for free!)

P.S. (If you want a list of great music books (various types) and why and what for I can reciprocate. My faves are the ones that mix practical exercises with the origins and needs of those exercises, not just up-down-up-down.)

StubHead said:
The one thing I hope you also do is play with people, because that's where I see holes in knowledge that can't be addressed without a teacher or just playing every gig, every opportunity, every time, freebies* included. You can't know what the holes are, until you see what the holes are. I can't, nobody can. And getting up in front of strangers to play music you don't know with people you've never met before does such a great job of clearing out the pipes in your adrenal glands.... :icon_biggrin:

Yeah that's where I always run into trouble because getting people to show up and commit to anything in So Cal is difficult, and it seems like all of the pre-existing jam sessions I could join are strictly blues... which I like, but I would much like to find something with more variety.  I started a guitar meetup group last week though, so hopefully I'll at least get to meet some players I might hit it off with when we have our first meetup. 

Back