Michael Bolton

line6man

Epic Member
18261801273_70cdbdaaac_o.jpg

:laughing7:

pssst.... It was Paul Bigsby that made the first solid body Spanish electric guitars.  He even invented the 6-on-a-side headstock.  Merle Travis had one of the first ones:

BigsbyMerleTravis.jpg

Merle showed the guitar to Leo Fender in the late 40's.  It was only later that the prototype broadcasters started to appear. Here's some notes on it from the Paul Bigsby book:

'According to Merle Travis, Leo Fender borrowed the solid body Bigsby for a week some time in 1949. Soon after that Leo had a broadcaster prototype that he was showing folks that featured many of the ideas on the Bigsby guitar. Leo went to his grave without ever admitting that he had borrowed the Bigsby - which bugged the hell out of Merle: "I don't want a penny from him (Leo), I just want him to say where he got the idea for the guitar. That's all!" and "I let him borrow it (the Bigsby) and it bugged me for years that he wouldn't admit it." Bigsby was also pretty annoyed. His daughter Mary remembered: "When Fender copied the head (stock), we sure heard about it!" '

Mayfly said:
pssst.... It was Paul Bigsby that made the first solid body Spanish electric guitars.  He even invented the 6-on-a-side headstock.  Merle Travis had one of the first ones:

Interesting, but not surprising. Lotta pioneers don't get credit for what they brought to the world. Recognition often went to who popularized the idea rather than the inventor. Look at Nikola Tesla vs. Thomas Edison, or Edison vs. Westinghouse. Huge, life-changing stuff. What about Bill Gates vs. Tim Patterson? Also huge, but who's ever heard of Tim Patterson? If Bill hadn't bought the rights to DOS and subsequently sold a license for it to IBM, we might not have PCs today. At least, not in their present form. Yet, Bill had very little to do with producing that product.

The list is long.

Back