New neck on the way

dudesweet157

So I've been spending the last 5 months putzing around with my Telecaster Thinline.  A some of you might remember, I just slapped a MIM Tele neck on it back in April and called it good until the right neck came up in the showcase, well boys (and girls), I think I found the one, this one:

tn3275a.jpg

tn3275b.jpg

Can't wait for it to get here.  I'm having it fretted with SS6100, throwing vintage style Klusons on it and finishing it with Tru Oil.  Should be pretty sweet!

The obligatory specs:

Birdseye Maple Neck/Fretboard
1-11/16" Nut Width
'59 Roundback Back Contour
SS 6100 Frets
Kluson Tuners

I'll post real pics when it gets here in a week or so.  Until then, imagine it bolted onto this (and please excuse the crappy cell phone pic).

warmothtele.jpg

Thanks Fernando and Tonar, I got a killer deal on it too!  It was sitting pretty as you please at $218, and I think it looks a lot better than some of the $282 and $283 necks they've got posted right now, and it has the upcharge back contour ('59 roundback) vs. the Standard Thin (ick) on most showcase necks.

That's a nice part. But, I wonder why you'd put Klusons on such a great piece? If there's a worse tuner available, I don't know what it would be. They don't look good, they don't work well, and they don't last long. It's like putting wooden wagon wheels on a Corvette.

Damn that looks good.  A lot of birds lost theirs eyes for that piece.  I hope you play the heck out of it. 

I put a bird neck on a strat once, loved the look, that one is wild,, will defiantly make that Tele rock. :guitarplayer2:

Cagey said:
That's a nice part. But, I wonder why you'd put Klusons on such a great piece? If there's a worse tuner available, I don't know what it would be. They don't look good, they don't work well, and they don't last long. It's like putting wooden wagon wheels on a Corvette.

Cagey, I've used Sperzels, Grover Rotos, Schaller locking and split-post Kluson style, and they all did the job just fine.  They do require a different technique to string up, but once you get it down, they work just fine, and they're the classic Fender tuner (aesthetics, and why I chose them).  I'd liken it more to putting whitewall tires on an old classic than putting wagon wheels on a 'Vette.

I guess if you're going for aesthetics, that's a different story. Personally, I don't like older stuff unless it's better, which isn't usually the case when it comes to guitar hardware and electronics.

Back