Partscaster, neck recommendation.

Bburt

Hi all,

Working on my first partscaster, the body is Basswood with a Spalted Maple top. The bridge pickup is a Dimarzio super distortion, still saving for a Dimarzio Area T for the neck position.  I was planning to go simple with Maple neck and Ebony fretboard.  I play mostly hard rock and love the look of the Warmoth exotic woods. Any recomendations from past experience would be greatly welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    651.3 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 348
That's a wild looking body! I'd go with an ebony fingerboard and a black headstock veneer/paint. That, or a zebra wood shaft to pull in the that bit below the bridge. Either way, 95% of you tone is going to come from your pup choice, so aesthetically, you might as well go with what what ever floats you boat. What ever you decide, keep them pix coming! Welcome to the forum! :icon_thumright:

BigSteve22 said:
That's a wild looking body! I'd go with an ebony fingerboard and a black headstock veneer/paint. That, or a zebra wood shaft to pull in the that bit below the bridge. Either way, 95% of you tone is going to come from your pup choice, so aesthetically, you might as well go with what what ever floats you boat. What ever you decide, keep them pix coming! Welcome to the forum! :icon_thumright:
Thanks, I am tempted to go with Goncalo Alves Neck Wood/Ebony Fretboard. I also believe most of the tone comes from pickups and playing style not the wood used. I stained the complete body blue and the hand sanded it until I liked the way it looked, the gave it a few layers of clear coat. Same treatment for the hardware.

Woah, what a cool body! While it doesn’t exactly jive with the exotic wood part of your request, were it me I’d be considering a maple/maple snakehead neck finished in vintage tint gloss. Like this one:

http://images.warmoth.com/Showcase/images/necks/large/mn2362A.jpg

mn2362A.jpg

However you proceed, I do hope you’ll post some pictures as it progresses!

Black Ebony over roasted Maple, with a Warhead headstock and stainless frets.

Mmm.. tasty! One piece, and no inlays? What could possibly be wrong with that? Not crazy about the vintage modern construction, but adjusting the truss rod twice a year isn't the end of the world.

-VB- said:
Woah, what a cool body! While it doesn’t exactly jive with the exotic wood part of your request, were it me I’d be considering a maple/maple snakehead neck finished in vintage tint gloss. Like this one:

http://images.warmoth.com/Showcase/images/necks/large/mn2362A.jpg

mn2362A.jpg

However you proceed, I do hope you’ll post some pictures as it progresses!
I have not thought outside the tele style headstock thanks for the recommendation .

Bburt said:
I have not thought outside the tele style headstock thanks for the recommendation.

That's why I mentioned the Warhead headstock earlier. Smaller, like a Tele headstock, but more modern, and doesn't look like a droopy dick.

IiMKjA1.jpg

Cagey said:
Bburt said:
I have not thought outside the tele style headstock thanks for the recommendation.

That's why I mentioned the Warhead headstock earlier. Smaller, like a Tele headstock, but more modern, and doesn't look like a droopy dick.

IiMKjA1.jpg
That warhead headstock looks great.

Warhead all the way!

I have 4, 2 on Tele style bodies and 1 each on a Strat and a Jazzmaster - looks right in all cases I think.

:icon_thumright:

Went Maple and Ebony, looks great. Thanks for input.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 352
Good choice on the neck - it fits perfectly with the body:  It's nice and simply and clean, so it doesn't distract from all the stuff going on with the body.  Great finish concept, too - non-traditional, but not in a "relic'd," faux-vintage way...and the matching headstock..whew! 

Now that looks like a guitar suitable for blowing the roof off whatever venue you're blastin' away in!  Nice work!

Bagman67 said:
Now that looks like a guitar suitable for blowing the roof off whatever venue you're blastin' away in!  Nice work!

I play in my bedroom with headphones.  Not much of a venue, still guitar time is fun and enjoyment for free everyday.

As long as you rock your world, all subsequent worlds must prepare to be rocked.

As it is written, so it shall be.

Just be sure to use a metronome (or drum machine) when you practice. Nobody wants to play with somebody who thinks they're in time when the reality is their internal clock is being constantly reset by some spurious random number generator  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
As long as you rock your world, all subsequent worlds must prepare to be rocked.

As it is written, so it shall be.

Just be sure to use a metronome (or drum machine) when you practice. Nobody wants to play with somebody who thinks they're in time when the reality is their internal clock is being constantly reset by some spurious random number generator  :laughing7:
Thump. Thumthump. Thumpita. Thump. :icon_thumright:

Back