Plans for First Warmoth Build!

xParallax

Hey All!

Just wanted to show you all the plans for my first Warmoth build! - with some photoshop magic I've put a mockup together!

Telecaster Deluxe in Roasted Swamp Ash, clear gloss finish that makes it look like Koa (Koa is used in the configurator image)
Strat-Style 6-screw tremolo (my band has this one song where I need a tremolo to make the riff work - so whole new guitar is needed, right? right?!)
White Binding,
Gold Hardware,

Maple Telecaster Neck with Rosewood fretboard, gold frets, pearloid block inlays and white binding,
Matching Roasted Swamp Ash headstock veneer (if possible by Warmoth)
Clear gloss finish on neck to match the body (and eh I kinda like the gloss finish on the neck anyway so no tradeoff needed)

What do you all think? - Please see picture!

Thanks,
Rhys

Attachments

• Warmoth Guitar.png
    Warmoth Guitar.png
    569.7 KB · Views: 397
That definitely is a looker, and a perfect excuse for a new guitar. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

People have built entire guitars for a lot less than a single song in the setlist - I mean, I don't even gig, and I've built a few!

Great choices and sure to be a beautiful axe. 

It'll look good. More important, it'll be what you want. Even more important yet, you get to have the fun of doing it yourself. That's a win/win/win for you. Looking forward to your progress.

Welcome to the forum.

I've built guitars totally on a whim, and they turned out to be instruments that I use all the time.  Yours sounds like it will be a great guitar.

Thanks all for your kind words, I get the feeling I'm getting into a community where GAS is no longer a problem and everyone is too far gone to notice now! Which I love.

Just finishing off speccing the guitar, looking for some opinions, can't decide between a Telecaster neck and headstock or a Stratocaster shape. I don't like and never have the 'CBS' headstock, and thats partially why I'm building a Tele Deluxe on Warmoth instead of buying a Fender. I like both the Tele and original Strat headstock shapes, but just can't decide between the two. I originally spec'd a Tele shape, but since there are upcharges on this, I've begun to question whether it's really worth me complicating matters, and whether I'm just better off getting a standard Tele Deluxe Body?

Let me know which one you prefer?

Attachments

• Warmoth Guitar Strat Neck.PNG
    Warmoth Guitar Strat Neck.PNG
    258 KB · Views: 826
I do like the CBS headstock on Tele Deluxes (but pretty much only them) so my biased vote is for the Strat, but if it were me I'd go Jazzmaster. Best of the CBS and Strat worlds.

I don't care for the Tele headstock, but believe the "Warhead" is a similar, more modern shape...

SN27273a.jpg

Hmm thanks to those who responded.

T89Rex said:
I do like the CBS headstock on Tele Deluxes (but pretty much only them) so my biased vote is for the Strat, but if it were me I'd go Jazzmaster. Best of the CBS and Strat worlds.

Do Jazzmaster necks fit in the Strat Neck Pocket?

Cagey said:
I don't care for the Tele headstock, but believe the "Warhead" is a similar, more modern shape...

SN27273a.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation, Cagey, I'll definitely keep that in mind, since this was a Fender that never was build though, I've already ordered the Gold Sticky-backed Nickel Fender Headstock Logo - Since Warmoth are Lic. by Fender, I believe you can brand it Fender, right?

Cheers,
Rhys

Legally, you're not supposed to. It's a trademark. But, as long as you're not selling the thing as a Fender, I doubt they're be too aggressive about defending it. Lotsa private individuals do it in the interest of aesthetics. Then, there are those who don't want Fender to get any credit for producing such a nice guitar. Whatever floats yer boat, I guess.

Cagey said:
Legally, you're not supposed to. It's a trademark. But, as long as you're not selling the thing as a Fender, I doubt they're be too aggressive about defending it. Lotsa private individuals do it in the interest of aesthetics. Then, there are those who don't want Fender to get any credit for producing such a nice guitar. Whatever floats yer boat, I guess.

Oh interesting! I thought Licensed by Fender just meant 'this is Fender, just built in a different factory' in legal terms. I think with the PRS SE range, the Cor-Tek factory in Indonesia has a license to use the PRS brand, therefore makes PRS guitars?

I might rethink the logo and maybe get my own custom one made up - sounds a cooler idea anyway!

Intellectual property law is a minefield. Unlike patents or copyrights, trademarks cease to have much value if they're not defended, so some companies can be quite aggressive about defending them. Gibson is a primary example. Others? Not so much. The idea behind trademark is actually to protect the consumer, not the holder/owner. It's to ensure the product they're buying is what they believe it to be, and not some possibly substandard counterfeit.

I like to do my own headstock logo, when I'm feeling ambitious...

IiMKjA1.jpg

but much more often just use either one of Warmoth's or nothing at all..

BlackMetalDecal.jpg

Cagey said:
Intellectual property law is a minefield. Unlike patents or copyrights, trademarks cease to have much value if they're not defended, so some companies can be quite aggressive about defending them. Gibson is a primary example. Others? Not so much. The idea behind trademark is actually to protect the consumer, not the holder/owner. It's to ensure the product they're buying is what they believe it to be, and not some possibly substandard counterfeit.

I like to do my own headstock logo, when I'm feeling ambitious...

IiMKjA1.jpg

but much more often just use either one of Warmoth's or nothing at all..

BlackMetalDecal.jpg

I see, yeah starting to sound like I don't want to get into the Fender logo stuff. Really like your personal logo - do you have any more pictures of that neck? I see the binding so I'm intrigued - any photos close of the binding etc.?

Cheers,
Rhys

Not really. I take more pics of some things than others, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lotta rhyme or reason for it. But, I did find these...

IMG_2485_Sm.JPG
oQwf0z7.jpg

OK, this may not help a lot but I like all the headstocks. It just depends on what it's going on. On yours, I'd probably use the Tele headstock or the Warmoth Warhead as suggested by Kevin.

That said, I have been getting roasted maple necks and ordering the CBS headstock so I can shape my own from that. You can get a paddlehead headstock but it's not available on every neck. The CBS is more readily available. If you want to go that route, it can be nice to have your own look.

Headstock logos look good. Definitely have your own made and have fun with that.

OP, very nice design you have going there.  If this is your first, all I can say is research the hell out of every component you want on your instrument.  I made my first (and only so far, but more to come) last summer.  Everything, and I mean everything that went into that guitar was a rabbit hole that needed to be traveled to know what I wanted.  From the pickups, to the wood choices, to the finish ( a huuuuuuge rabbit hole) to the neck profile, to the tuners, the bridge, the tuning pegs, the damn screws even.......everything!

The end result though was worth it, as that guitar is the one I've been playing daily since completion.  I have a small, but decent collection of guitars (2 LP's, Gibson Midtown, G&L USA Legacy Special, Fender MIM Strat with some "stuff"), and they all now get barely played.  And a big thank you to a lot of members on this site for their advice, wisdom and guidance on traveling those rabbit holes to understand what I wanted.

I'm kind of envious of you right now, as your going to experience a newness of exploration and, at the other end of the rabbit hole, gratification that is going to be fantastic.

Good luck, and looking forward to your completed guitar.

Check out my tele deluxe thread with a strat neck.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=29223.msg413739#msg413739

Back