Playing in odd meters

bagman67

Epic Member
This drummer gives a lesson that is applicable to guitarists as well.

NSFW:  Language

[youtube]M_8iD5xS1hI[/youtube]

I just listened to a lot of RUSH when I was young.  That and I was in a very serious concert band in my teens where we played all kinds of messed up stuff.  Like Percy Granger - the guy would change time signature every couple of bars.  1.5 / 4 anyone?

Bagman67 said:
This drummer gives a lesson that is applicable to guitarists as well.

Thank you. I haven't laughed that much in a long time.

I have been writing riffs in 5/4, 6/4, 7/4 for years and thought I had a pretty decent knowledge about odd time signatures.
Then I went to one of IA Eklundh's Freak Guitar Camp's and realised I didn't know anything. NOTHING! I was exposed to stuff that makes Rush songs look like child's play.
His knowledge in konnakol that is taught extensively at these camp's made me realise that there's a whole world of rhythmic complexities that I haven't scratched the surface of.

Here's an example of some of his stuff that he teaches (check especially out the part from 3:45 onwards that sounds as it's accelerating, but there's actually an underlying beat(!) ):

[youtube]https://youtu.be/ZUdfJQtsOj0[/youtube]

Here's another example of his where he explains and breaks down the rhythms used ...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/1ggqyh_X7S8[/youtube]

Apparently I'm not quite as advanced as some of you yet. But don't worry I'm practicing right now and I'll be caught up in no time!

Now where was I ?......Ohh, yah...........1, 2, Ma-ry had a lit-tle................................ :headbanging:

TBurst Std said:
stratamania said:
1.5/4 would that not be better expressed as 3/8...
I agree,  But if you’re playing to a click, 1.5/4 is much cleaner to follow.

What tempo is either side of one bar it?  e.g. 6/8, 3/8 , 5/4

1.5/4 is not even fitting into proper nomenclature let alone anything else.  So what is it, 1/4 + 1/8 or 1/8 + 1/4 so where is the click now?

Lets say you had 4 bars of 4/4, 1 bar of 1.5/4 and then to 5/4 where is the click once it gets to 5/4 the downbeat is now the upbeat and if your click was on the downbeat now it does not exist and it is on the upbeat.  Or your click is going to have to move...

Now play it with groove...

6xqxxcicx0331.jpg

Back