Poll: Which of these 2 mockups would you prefer? Making a 1H "shredder".

Soloist with Strat headstock or 7/8 with 24 frets and Warhead

• Soloist (despite its non-traditional body and lack of 24 frets)

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • 7/8 Strat (despite its headstock)

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

TheOtherEric

For my next Warmoth, I'd like to do a 24.75" scale 1H, inspired by Charvel custom shops.  I'd prefer 24 frets with a Strat headstock, but such a thing isn't offered in this scale length.  For the Soloist, I like the Strat headstock, but not keen on the non-traditional body and lack of 24 fret option.  For the 7/8, I like the traditional body shape and 24 frets, but not fond of the headstock. 

As a side note, I really wish Warmoth would offer this lime green in a metallic paint instead of flake, but oh well. 

Which one would you build? 

Attachments

• 1H-Mockups.jpg
    1H-Mockups.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 455
Neither.

If I wanted a 24 fret 24 3/4" scale from Warmoth I would go for the 7/8 and I actually like the headstock.

I personally think a Soloist body more like a Shredder guitar - if that's what you are going for. But I would strongly recommend to build what YOU want. It's your baby and other's opinions on aesthetics should only be taken into account to a minimal degree.

I would go for the 7/8th guitar because I prefer the location of the neck joint, when choosing the 24.75" scale length.    The body outline for the 7/8 guitar meets the neck at the 17th fret.  Whereas a strat or soloist with 24.75" conversion neck will meet the body outline right on the 16th fret.  Its just a subtle difference to the feeling of the guitar.  At least neither is as uncomfortable as a Les Paul. 

However I can understand people who say the 7/8th guitar doesn't have shredder looks.  Its ok for me because I'm a Larry Carlton fan.

I'll pick a soloist every time, I like the shape and the feel of the soloist better... :icon_biggrin:

Agreed. Soloist isn't "metal". It's sort of become the default strat like guitar, and the strat is sort of like a 51 pbass. You have to be wanting that very specifically, else you're getting a split coil.  It hasn't always been this way for me, but that's pretty much how I feel nowadays

swarfrat said:
Agreed. Soloist isn't "metal". It's sort of become the default strat like guitar, and the strat is sort of like a 51 pbass. You have to be wanting that very specifically, else you're getting a split coil.  It hasn't always been this way for me, but that's pretty much how I feel nowadays
I wouldn't agree with that, you can't get much more metal than this...Unless you go all out pointy... :party07:
zrjneilp6gnmatsqhr3z.jpg

JohnnyHardtail said:
I would go for the 7/8th guitar because I prefer the location of the neck joint, when choosing the 24.75" scale length.    The body outline for the 7/8 guitar meets the neck at the 17th fret.  Whereas a strat or soloist with 24.75" conversion neck will meet the body outline right on the 16th fret.  Its just a subtle difference to the feeling of the guitar.  At least neither is as uncomfortable as a Les Paul. 

However I can understand people who say the 7/8th guitar doesn't have shredder looks.  Its ok for me because I'm a Larry Carlton fan.
  Thanks for the info about where the neck meets body; I had no idea.

I suppose “shredder” wasn’t a good descriptor for wheat I’m building since I’m no shredder. Van Halen is about my limit. I was inspired by this Charvel “strat” body, then found they did a similar soloist-style too.

And it also seems there’s a third option — Soloist body with 7/8 neck (off-menu option). Very cool!

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 154
TheOtherEric said:
And it also seems there’s a third option — Soloist body with 7/8 neck (off-menu option). Very cool!

Third option?!  I haven't heard of that before.  Are there any examples on the internet of the Soloist body for 7/8 neck?

I'd like to see an overlay of 7/8 Strat vs 7/8 Soloist to understand how it will affect the layout and balance of the guitar.

There is another difference between 7/8 guitar and the Warmoth bodies designed for 25.5" necks.  For the 25.5" Warmoth bodies, the humbucker mounting screws end up around 35mm from the edge of the tremolo plate.  For other guitars with 24.75" scale length, the bridge humbucker is almost always placed closer to the bridge.  When the humbucker is closer to the bridge, it should give brighter tone.  There is also the posibility of buying a body without a bridge pickup route and going the DIY router approach (If you are confident about using a router).  I'm considering to do that for my next project.

Back